Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What kind of cool things can I do with Unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What kind of cool things can I do with Unity?

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    The whole layout in unity is well-thought and ready to be used. In the other things, there is really no layout, just attempts at it that you have to change. Gnome-3 basically begins with no layout. Besides an indicator I have not needed to add anything to unity. When I was trying GS I had to download 21 addons and it was still not very useful.
    What do you mean it has no layout? Ive never used Gnome 3, but KDE comes with a standard panel with a menu, task bar, and system tray that is perfectly functional and doesnt need to be changed. I used standard KDE with no customization for months and had no problem.

If you want to move the wallpaper you can just use the gimp or something. That the other DEs are so insecure about themselves that they are even unsure where the wallpaper should go is... worrying.
    What do you mean move the wallpaper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No need to customize Unity. It works very well out of the box and is getting better every release. All I do is install the Faenza icon set and I am ready to work. The global menu, lenses and HUD makes working within unity much, much faster.

All my monitors are widescreen and as such I don't mind sacrificing a bit of space on the left hand side of the screen. Having a panel on the top, the application's menu panel and the bottom panel in gnome2 / mate / cinnamon is just a waste of precious vertical real estate.

KDE is to much customizable, the default layout is the way windows 95 was. No real thought behind the placement of UI elements and a better way of interfacing with the system. It just looks shiny and transparent. Then some KDE users go and theme their interface to mimic Unity by having a similar launcher bar at the left but having none of the really cool features like global menu, HUD and lenses. And with Qt's future no longer certain...

XFCE is a crippled gnome 2 clone (the default file manager doesn't support tabs by design?!?). Sure the gnome 3 guys are also busy crippling nautilus these days but luckily there is Marlin

gnome shell, most handicapped constraint DE I ever came across. One needs to install so many plugins to just get a semi workable setup in GS.

I really am spoilt with Unity, the HUD, lenses and global menu. There is actually some real design behind the way the desktop was made to assist you with interacting with your machine and applications.

But yeah, the great thing with Linux is the choice isn't. Whatever rocks your boat, for me its Unity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    gnome shell, most handicapped constraint DE I ever came across. One needs to install so many plugins to just get a semi workable setup in GS.
    I hardly add anything to my Gnome Shell install. I love it as-is. I think it's a pretty amazing technical feat personally, and an eye-popping, intuitive design.

Just me.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Please stay on topic, that is : 'What kind of cool things can I do with Unity?'

This not anti Unity thread #4657864
    This is not pro xfce, KDE, blah, blah thread.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry to said that I try Unity with MyUnity / Compiz and did not find anything cool to do with it because of the low level of customization. On the other hand, for others members Unity just work and that´s the beauty of Gnu/Linux and Ubuntu for that matter (choice).

I´m positive that as time goes by more options will be available for Unity. The classic menu indicator for example was also nice for me.

Regards
    Last edited by Lemuriano; September 24th, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345