Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: record high definition screencasts in ubuntu linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

record high definition screencasts in ubuntu linux

hi!

how can i record high definition screencasts (at least 720p) in my ubuntu system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: record high definition screencasts in ubuntu linux

Check out the package "gtk-recordmydesktop" you can install from Synaptic or the command line via:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install gtk-recordmydesktop
    Works great.

Beans

Smile Re: record high definition screencasts in ubuntu linux

When i installed 'Record my desktop, it works only when the desktop effects are set to 'none' if i set them to normal or extra it do not capture any window it just shows the wallpaper.
    Any pointer on how to get the things like 'zoom in' 'zoom out' on perticular text/screen area getting captured with recordmydesktop application.?

ciao,
    Pranav

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Compiz breaks tons of stuff...including opengl games, skype, virtual machines, etc. I love it, but I frequently find myself disabling it.

In terms of dynamically zooming in and out...i don't know of anything that does that while you are recording...you do that afterwards in video editing.

In terms of zooming in to capture just one window...it does that...check the settings -- it'll give you a red rectangle that shows what you are recording.

Beans
    Hidden!

High Quality screencasting on Linux:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392026
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    In terms of dynamically zooming in and out...i don't know of anything that does that while you are recording...you do that afterwards in video editing.
    Thanks, that is an ultimate option of editing the video after recording... buts on youtube there are many videos where the compiz fusion effects are recorded using recordmydesktop...
    its not working on my machine though... Any idea if running Ubuntu on virtual box is limiting the full capacity of recordmydesktop?
    Last edited by pranavnatu; April 11th, 2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: :) shorter

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by verb3k View Post
    High Quality screencasting on Linux:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392026
    Thanks .. but I am kind of newbie yet, and the tutorial has got too much of commands/parameter passing.. I will definitely use this when I become comfortable with command line options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is an option in 'recordmydesktop' that is designed for use with Compiz - in fact, I believe it should be enabled automatically when it detects a composited window manager. Maybe check the man page?

Code:
    man recordmydesktop
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    Compiz breaks tons of stuff...including opengl games, skype, virtual machines, etc. I love it, but I frequently find myself disabling it.

In terms of zooming in to capture just one window...it does that...check the settings -- it'll give you a red rectangle that shows what you are recording.
    Super + Scroll zooms in and out in Ubuntu, I believe. By the way, Super is the same as Command on a Mac and the Windows key on, what else, Windows.

Beans

You can see a tutorial on how to use ffmeg to do screencasts on linux here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ry-f3Mpx4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast