Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Ubuntu support 3D printing?

Beans

Re: Does Ubuntu support 3D printing?

Have you seen the RepRap?
    Open source HARDWARE 3D printer!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Blender can print 3D

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Today's the first time I've looking at those 3D printers, looks like it could be a very fun toy. It costs about what my laptop did, not a deal breaker, the ability to build cool toys and gadgets is very appealing.
    I have looked into 3D printers for a while recently.

I like the idea; however, I don't know how much use I could find for it at present. It may be nothing more than a toy for me, as you have suggested.

I have seen a very broad difference in the price for 3D printers that seems to be related to these items:
    1. speed of the printer
    2. thickness of the layers (resolution)
    3. size of the print area (example: 6X6X6 versus 12X6X6)
    4. kit or pre-assembled
    I'm not sure I would be happy with one of the 3D printers available at the moment that cost about the same as my laptop. I will probably wait for some company to start mass producing a home user commodity product that has decent speed, resolution, and print size; before, I buy one.

If 3D printing was something I could actually use in my home regularly, I might be one of the first-adopters; however, that is not true with this technology.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Blender can print 3D
    You answered the question I was going to ask

Maybe an evil internet company will use them to clone humans though lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    I like the idea; however, I don't know how much use I could find for it at present.
    Have you been to Thingiverse.com?
    Thingiverse is a website dedicated to the sharing of user-created digital design files. Providing primarily open source hardware designs licensed under the GNU General Public License or Creative Commons licenses, users choose the type of user license they wish to attach to the designs they share. 3D printers, laser cutters, milling machines and many other technologies can be used to physically create the files shared by the users on Thingiverse.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thingiverse
    Last edited by cyberhood; September 21st, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    Blender can print 3D
    How? LOL
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Yes, ubuntu supports 3d printing, you need to install the replicatorg software and there are 2 methods of printing, 1 directly through the usb cable or 2 ( my preferred way ) put the files on the sd card and insert it into machine and print that way

You can download 3d designs from thingivers or you can use blender, openscad ( my preferred, but I am a programmer by profession so thats probably why ) or any other 3d design tool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12