Thread: Ubuntu on Dell Mini 10

Beans

Ubuntu on Dell Mini 10

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 and after instillation I get the all too well known black screen. I understand that this is due to a driver issue; my graphics chipset doesn't have an open source driver. I know that, after a bit of finnicking that you can get it working, however all of the guides are aimed at a more experienced user. Are there any step by step guides that you guys could point me towards? Is one of you willing to help me through this?

TL;DR: I'm a noob and need a guide to get Ubuntu graphics working on a Dell Mini 10.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Dell Mini 10

Quote Originally Posted by HankSpank View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 and after instillation I get the all too well known black screen. I understand that this is due to a driver issue; my graphics chipset doesn't have an open source driver. I know that, after a bit of finnicking that you can get it working, however all of the guides are aimed at a more experienced user. Are there any step by step guides that you guys could point me towards? Is one of you willing to help me through this?

TL;DR: I'm a noob and need a guide to get Ubuntu graphics working on a Dell Mini 10.
    What do you mean by "black screen"? Console?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaytrance View Post
    What do you mean by "black screen"? Console?
    Totally black screen. Login screen sounds. Pressing ctrl+alt+F2 brings up console. As stated before, however, I am relatively new to Linux (this is only my 4th or so instillation and first on a laptop) and I am still not totally comfortable with it, but willing to learn.

Beans

More googling revealed this page. Upon following the instructions the screen returned to its proper state. However this needs to be done every time I turn on the computer. Can I automate this process?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HankSpank View Post
    Pressing ctrl+alt+F2 brings up console.
    In the console, what is the output of

Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    I believe the GMA500 is not supported, and/but there was a proprietary, binary driver for some specific kernel or Ubuntu version. So that might mean some older Ubuntu might work with that driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please see the Poulsbo wiki -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo. Step by step instructions are provided to work around the black screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Please see the Poulsbo wiki -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo. Step by step instructions are provided to work around the black screen.
    Also, if this helps, please mark thread as solved using thread tools above.