Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sshfs root priveleges

Beans

sshfs root priveleges

I am trying to manage my ubuntu web server from my macbook.
    I can ssh into my server and edit files with nano.
    I have also installed fuse4x and I have mounted and can access files on my server via Finder.

I would like to use my native mac apps to edit files on my server, but how do I do so, when these files are root-only?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: sshfs root priveleges

Quote Originally Posted by bendt.v.rasmussen View Post
    I am trying to manage my ubuntu web server from my macbook.
    I can ssh into my server and edit files with nano.
    I have also installed fuse4x and I have mounted and can access files on my server via Finder.

I would like to use my native mac apps to edit files on my server, but how do I do so, when these files are root-only?
    Hi there,
    There are multiple ways you can get around this, firstly, make sure your user is in the fuse group in /etc/group, then essentially when you mount the remote filesystem via sshfs, you can set a umask value to change the permissions of the entire mount as a parameter of sshfs. The following are three examples of umask syntax:

Set permissions for all users to have rwx, i.e. rwxrwxrwx:
    Code:
    umask=0000
    Set permissions for all users to have rx, i.e. r-xr-xr-x:
    Code:
    umask=0222
    Set permissions for only owner to have rwx, i.e. rwx------:
    Code:
    umask=0077
    You can then change the last three digits of umask to manipulate the mount permissions to whatever you wish, they go in order of owner, group, other, and the numbers resemble read as 4, write as 2, execute as 1. Do not change the leading 0, as this is not relevant to your case, and really only does other functions such as setuid.

The alternative to umask mounting is to manually 'chmod' directories that you want access to after the mounting is done. The syntax is the same as umask for chmod, however the leading 0 is not as important, and you can just 'chmod 755' for example for rwxr-xr-x.

As a small side note, it is generally against UNIX practices to have any file or folder on your system with 777 permissions. Something to keep in mind when you change your root-only permissions

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans

If you want root privileges on your ubuntu server then why not just log in as root?:
    Code:
    sshfs root@myserver:/etc /myserver/etc

Beans
    Hidden!

DislikeSwype DislikesMy ApologiesUNIX Environment RootRoot
    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    If you want root privileges on your ubuntu server then why not just log in as root?:
    Code:
    sshfs root@myserver:/etc /myserver/etc
    That's Fine For Editing Them With Root Privileges, however That Would Require Running The Local OSX Applications As Root. In Most Cases Running Everyday Applications In A UNIX Environment With Elevated Privileges Should Be Discouraged.

my Apologies For The Constant First Letter Caps, Android Swype dislikes These forums.
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajmorris View Post
    That's Fine For Editing Them With Root Privileges, however That Would Require Running The Local OSX Applications As Root. In Most Cases Running Everyday Applications In A UNIX Environment With Elevated Privileges Should Be Discouraged.
    I don't use any of the fuse stuff on a mac but I don't understand why this is the case? That sshfs command I quoted was the linux command line example which you run as your ordinary user to log in as root on the ubuntu server and then mount the remote directory locally. Can't you do the same thing user fuse on your mac?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    I don't use any of the fuse stuff on a mac but I don't understand why this is the case? That sshfs command I quoted was the linux command line example which you run as your ordinary user to log in as root on the ubuntu server and then mount the remote directory locally. Can't you do the same thing user fuse on your mac?
    That's Fine But From What I Got From The OP, The Mounted Directory Was Only Editable By Root, The Mounting Process Wasn't An Issue, Add A umask To The Mount command And It Should Be Fine.

Beans

Logging in as root is not allowed on ubuntu??
    The server refuses me to do so, if i just "sshfs root@blabla.org://var/www".

When I do "sshfs -o "umask=0000" myname@blabla.org://var/www" I still cant edit the files.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bendt.v.rasmussen View Post
    Logging in as root is not allowed on ubuntu??
    The server refuses me to do so, if i just "sshfs root@blabla.org://var/www".

When I do "sshfs -o "umask=0000" myname@blabla.org://var/www" I still cant edit the files.
    Yes you're correct, in ubuntu the root account is disabled in favour of sudo for elevated privileges for security reasons. There are a couple of ways you can access /var/www. The first is not recommended, and not supported by ubuntu, and that is to enable the root account. It is against forum policy to tell you how to enable the account, and as such, if this is your desired method, you will have to find that answer yourself. A second method is to simply give your user on your ubuntu machine access to /var/www with chmod, chown or a combination of the two. The easiest however is to check the group ownership of /var/www, and make sure at least read access is avaliable for that group, then add your relevant user to that group in /etc/group.

Then proceed as normal:
    Code:
    sshfs -o umask=0000 user@server:/var/www /mnt/local
    Please note that your example did not have a mount location on the local machine, notice the /mnt/local in my example, make sure you have a local mount point included in the sshfs mount command. Doing the above, should allow your ubuntu user to mount /var/www to a local mount point, and the umask should allow all users on your mac to be able to have full control over the mount point.

Beans

I have tried just chmodding and crowning /var/ww to belong to my own user, but wouldn't that be a security breach? To have both my own user and apache access this, I need to give all users privileges to rwx?

Beans

?????????????????????????
    Code:
    MacBook-Air:~ me$ sshfs -o umask=0000 me@myserver.org.://var/www /local/mountpoint
    me@myserver.org's password: **** -> OK

MacBook-Air:mountpoint me$ ls -l index.html 
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  621 17 Jul 01:00 index.html -> Seems OK

MacBook-Air:mountpoint bendt$ ls -lh ..
    drwxrwxrwx   1 root   wheel   4,0K 17 Sep 15:26 mountpoint -> Strange ownership, but seems ok-

MacBook-Air:mountpoint me$ touch test
    touch: test: Permission denied

mkdir: test: Permission denied
    cp: test.test: Permission denied -> WTF?

Why????????????????????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast