Thread: microphone static

Beans

microphone static

Hello,
    I recently had to reformat my computer, and ever since, my microphone has been putting out a lot of static. the microphone works find in my other computer, but not here...

when I mute the "Front Mi" #1 in alsa-mixer, the static goes away, so it is specifically there...

i hear the static through the speakers, when recording sounds and otherwise...

and I am using 10.04 and am not willing to "upgrade".

help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: microphone static

It is hard to say.

Perhaps fresh-instlaling quantal when it comes out may solve the problem. But, then again, you might not be willing to make the move.

It would be interesting to know the reason for the latter. I will not further be interfering with the development of this thread, and forgive me for having done so!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I doubt this is why, but might be worth mentioning... there will be more static if your volume is turned higher.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowVegan View Post
    I doubt this is why, but might be worth mentioning... there will be more static if your volume is turned higher.
    the static is high whether the volume on the mic or the speaker is high or low

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Input jack on the computer is either dirty or is need of replacement/repair.

Beans
    Hidden!

If it is dirty you could always try plunging part of a throwable-away cloth into isopropyl alcohol and rubbing it back and forth into the hole using either a small nail, a toothpick, or the middle part of a cotton swab.

EDIT: do I need to mention the need to unplug computer from power first, then to let it dry before plugging it back in?
    Last edited by twipley; September 18th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.