Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy trojan

Hybrid View

Beans

Poison Ivy trojan

Microsoft has released a temporary software fix for a newly discovered bug in its Internet Explorer web browser.
    Microsoft told users to download a free patch, the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit, as a temporary solution while the company continued to work on a long-term fix.

But experts warned the new software must be downloaded and manually configured, making it cumbersome for many ordinary users.

Some advised users to switch to alternative browsers, such as Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox while the bug was being fixed.

It is expected that producing a proper update will take about a week.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19636382

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Poison Ivy trojan

People still use Internet Explorer? I haven't ever opened it on the Windows partition on my laptop (Lenovo pre-installs Chrome)...

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Use of ALL forms of IE is well below 30% world wide now and continually falling as every time they shoot themselves in the foot, more migrate away supposedly on a temporary basis and find that the other choices are much better as far as flexibility and reliability. Chrome being in the #1 position and FireFox at #3 and soon to become #2 as IE usage falls.
    Last edited by oldsoundguy; September 19th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Chrome being in the #1 position and FireFox at #3 and soon to become #2 as IE usage falls.
    So what's no: 2?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

From a business point of view, I am extremely sceptical of any poll showing I.E behind FF - (unless you're picking individual versions). Chrome, sure, but only for home users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Use of ALL forms of IE is well below 30% world wide now and continually falling as every time they shoot themselves in the foot, more migrate away supposedly on a temporary basis and find that the other choices are much better as far as flexibility and reliability. Chrome being in the #1 position and FireFox at #3 and soon to become #2 as IE usage falls.
    Still a good percentage. Still enough to make this trojan cause mayhem.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    People still use Internet Explorer?
    Not only use it but my ISP (att.net) actually requires it for tech support.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

When we moved into this house I was told i had to have a computer with windows for the tech to set up and configure the router. I had one that was dual booted so no problem.

About a year later the same tech was sent to replace the router. He came in sat down at my wifes computer and did what he had to. Her browser was open(FF) and he just went to their site and did his checks and configs.

As he was walking out the door I said , "Oh BTW you just did all that set up on a linux operating system without IE." He stopped dead in his tracks and gave me a blank look and mumbled really? i didnt notice.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    When we moved into this house I was told i had to have a computer with windows for the tech to set up and configure the router. I had one that was dual booted so no problem.

About a year later the same tech was sent to replace the router. He came in sat down at my wifes computer and did what he had to. Her browser was open(FF) and he just went to their site and did his checks and configs.

As he was walking out the door I said , "Oh BTW you just did all that set up on a linux operating system without IE." He stopped dead in his tracks and gave me a blank look and mumbled really? i didnt notice.
    Aha, nice.

Bet the tech was thinking something like "wait....what?" out of confusion for a brief second, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast