Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with installing ati driver !

Beans

Question problem with installing ati driver !

hi
    i am new to ubuntu
    few days ago i downloaded ati driver 12.2 from "amd website" , and installed it . but after reboot this message shows up : "ubuntu runs in low-graphic mode ... "

so i fix it with great effort (via recovery mode) , after that i used "Additionals Drivers" in "system setting" to install ati driver ! but it didnt work again !
    i have no idea what to do now!

my graphic is: ati radeon mobility 4550

please help

Beans

Re: problem with installing ati driver !

No body !!!!????????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi ,

please follow this guide : http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429...-video-drivers

Thanks

Beans

Question Re: problem with installing ati driver !

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    i followed that , but it didnt work !! after reboot this message shows up again : "ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode , your screen and graphic card and ... "
    and i think this is the fourh time that i installed "ati catalyst" and i see this message !!

because my graphic is swithcable and it is "ati radeon mobility 4000" ! i search alot , the solutions is just for "ati radeon 4000" not the "ati mobility radeon 4000" !!! what shoud i do !?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"Switchable" as in ATI/ATI dual graphics or Intel/ATI hybrid?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just to be sure about your hardware please post the results to the following:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Since proprietary graphics drivers enjoy creating config files, may I also recommend you remove any configurations you may have accidentally made, by doing the following.

Code:
    # mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bkup
    In case you are unfamiliar with notation, '#' means this needs to by run as root. On Ubuntu this can usually be done by inserting "sudo" infront of the command, and providing your password.

Restart the computer after this.

I am getting something to eat. I'll check up in 30 minutes.
    Also please post the link to the driver you downloaded so I can look what it may have done. (check if anything needs to be reversed...or maybe lend you a hand)

Cheers
    Last edited by vandorjw; September 19th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Before you go further, let me say two things:

1. If you have ATI/ATI dual graphics (such as an APU with a an additional "dedicated" ATI GPU), I see at least three errors/omissions in the Ask Ubuntu answer.

2. If you have Intel/ATI hybrid graphics, you need to take a different approach, and that may not work in your case anyway.
    Last edited by QIII; September 19th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Question Re: problem with installing ati driver !

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    "Switchable" as in ATI/ATI dual graphics or Intel/ATI hybrid?
    intel/ATI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Before you go further, let me say two things:
    2. If you have Intel/ATI hybrid graphics, you need to take a different approach, and that may not work in your case anyway.
    actually , i dont need swith !! i just want my ati graphic back
    for more info , in my windows os , there is a "512 mb deticated memory" when i switch graphic to "high performance"
    so i only want to use that ati graphic (512 mb)

thanks again
    Last edited by snifer7; September 19th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cc7gir View Post
    Just to be sure about your hardware please post the results to the following:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Also please post the link to the driver you downloaded so I can look what it may have done. (check if anything needs to be reversed...or maybe lend you a hand)

Cheers
    The result was positive
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series]

--------------------------------------------------------------
    i downloaded the catalyst 12.6 from amd website :
    Code:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeon_linux.aspx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have an Intel/ATI hybrid, which creates problems that have been hit and miss as far as solutions go. This is a problem across the Linux ecosystem.

I added a bit to the ATI wiki in my signature that has worked for some. Look for the special case installation of Catalyst 12.6 with Intel hybrids in the wiki. Be aware, however, that all of the possible solutions I have seen appear to work ONLY with ATI 6xxx and 7xxx series GPUs.

Can you disable one or the other of the graphics in your BIOS?

DO NOT use the legacy driver or you will likely end up with a completely unusable system. Yours is not a legacy GPU and that driver WILL NOT WORK with X post 2008.

If you do decide you want to be able to switch, the open source Radeon driver with vgaswitcheroo might work. But you wouldn't have the proprietary driver.
    Last edited by QIII; September 19th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast