Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with installing ati driver !

Beans

Re: problem with installing ati driver !

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Look for the special case installation of Catalyst 12.6 with Intel hybrids in the wiki
    Can you disable one or the other of the graphics in your BIOS?

DO NOT use the legacy driver or you will likely end up with a completely unusable system. Yours is not a legacy GPU and that driver WILL NOT WORK with X post 2008.
    no, BIOS has not such possibility !
    i searched for "hybrid and special case installation catalyst" , and i found THIS LINK !
    in this guide , it says download "catalyst driver" from "AMD website" !so i have to download legacy catalyst again and ... and what !?

so should i give up !!!? no solution !? its ridiculous
    Last edited by snifer7; September 19th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No. Do NOT use the legacy driver. It will not work. It does not work with X any longer.

The guide says to download 12.6. However, as I said, that solution is not likely to work with your series of GPU. I made a note specifically indicating it is not likely to work with series 5xxx GPUs and earlier.

All solutions I am aware of work only with series 6xxx or later GPUs, and even then they are not guaranteed.

If you can't disable the Intel graphics, your only likely solution is to use the open source Radeon driver with vgaswitcheroo.

This is the same story across Linux. The OEM drivers for Linux do not work well with Intel hybrid graphics. NVIDIA users are running into similar issues with Intel/NVIDIA hybrids. The "solution" would be for the OEMs to modify their Linux drivers. ATI's only works for more recent series GPUs. There isn't much we can do about it.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Question Re: problem with installing ati driver !

The guide says to download 12.6. However, as I said, that solution is not likely to work with your series of GPU. I made a note specifically indicating it is not likely to work with series 5xxx GPUs and earlier.

All solutions I am aware of work only with series 6xxx or later GPUs, and even then they are not guaranteed.
    thanks, thats why i installed ubuntu last week, for the linux community

and can u explain me what is OEM !?
    thankyou

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Original Equipment Manufacturer.

AMD makes ATI GPUs. The "ATI" brand is carried over from when AMD bought ATI.

The OEMs are the ones who write drivers for their hardware. Open source developers sometimes have a fair amount of success writing drivers that will work, albeit often with limited functionality because the hardware is proprietary and they can't peer deeply enough in to it to make their drivers perfect.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Question Re: problem with installing ati driver !

Original Equipment Manufacturer.

AMD makes ATI GPUs. The "ATI" brand is carried over from when AMD bought ATI.
    i searched for 5 days , and google gives me nothin
    so i have to use "vgaswitcheroo" , is this my only solution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Uninstall the proprietary ATI driver and get rid of xorg.conf. Use the open source Radeon driver, which you will default to on restart (you don't have to install it.)

Because I can't predict which GPU your machine will default to on start up, install vgaswitcheroo (I'm on my cell phone on my way to work, so I can't give you a link.)

Then you can choose between the two GPUs.

Beans

ok , i'll do that

and the last question :
    take a look at this page , in fourth paragraph it says the solution has been tested on intel HD 3000 ...
    i guess it might works for me !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Unfortunately not. That solution only works with series 6xxx and higher cards as well - when it works, which is not guaranteed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12