Thread: Passing a URL into a variable for wget

Beans

Post Passing a URL into a variable for wget

I am trying to pass a URL into a variable so that I can call it later with wget in order to import dynamic data. Here's my thought process. First, I take a file (stat.txt) that has several lines of different URLs with identifying tags before the http:// and pull out the handful of lines that I need with grep. Then I strip the identifying tags off to obtain the URLs by themselves through sed. Next, I select one at random so that wget can utilize it later and a poor man's version of load balancing (sort and head). Here's the script that I came up with which works as intended (URL is a valid URL in the format of http://domain.com/folder/stat.txt):

Code:
    grep "url0=h*" stat.txt | sed "s/url0=//g" | sort -R | head -n 1
    Now the issue is when I try to define a variable using this:
    Code:
    SITE=$"(grep "url0=h*" status.txt | sed "s/url0=//g" | sort -R | head -n 1)"
    It appears to take just fine, but when I call the variable by $SITE it returns:
    : No such file or directoryym/servinfo/data.txt
    It's like it is trying to do something with the URL but taking the last half of it and appending it to the error message (without a space) instead of just simply printing it. Any ideas on how to define my variable? Also, the next step that I'm guessing would be to call it in the form of:
    Code:
    wget -r -nH $SITE

Beans

Smile Re: Passing a URL into a variable for wget

Guess that I just needed to fully define my logic to see the issue. Here's the resolution that I came up with:
    Code:
    grep "url0=h*" stat.txt | sed "s/url0=//g" | sort -R | head -n 1 > SITE
    Which overwrites the value of the URL into a file instead of a variable each time it is run and therefore I can call wget correctly through:
    Code:
    wget -r -nH -i SITE
    Thanks for letting me get the issue defined and anyone who began to work on the issue at hand. Any ideas though on how to pass that info to a variable would be greatly appreciated out of useful curiosity.