Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I want to like Cinnamon, but it just seems like a cramped and dumbed-down version of XFCE. Not sure why anyone would want to use it except that it's built on a Gnome base and has a little extra bling.
    My thoughts as well. Why bother forking all these projects to create this "new" desktop when XFCE has been offering a similar desktop experience forever? And XFCE is rock solid.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by welly wu View Post
    using the current phoronix test suite 4.0.1-suldal, my testing confirms that cinnamon 1.6.0 is nearly as fast asxfce 1.4 and lxde 0.5.x on my system76 lemur ultra thin (lemu4). The slowest aspect about cinnamon 1.6.0 is loading the desktop environment after i log in because i have quite a number of applets and extensions that i added to customize it. Otherwise, daily usage case workloads indicate that cinnamon 1.6.0 is nearly as fast as xfce and lxde without encumbering system resources and sacrificing speed and performance for additional features and capabilities. Your results may differ.
    xfce 1.4?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Version Dependency View Post
    My thoughts as well. Why bother forking all these projects to create this "new" desktop when XFCE has been offering a similar desktop experience forever? And XFCE is rock solid.
    Well by that reckoning what's the point in Unity when we have Shell? Shell is lighter and more stable (arguably) than Unity.

You can argue these points all day, and it's largely useless. Use what you like, I don't see why it has to be a war. I personally much prefer to use Cinnamon over xfce on my desktop. I like the effects, I like the workspaces, I just prefer it all round. It's very quick and modern looking, more so than xfce imho.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I launched the terminal and I typed in cinnamon --version and it told me that I have 1.6.1. So, here is what I noticed. The notifications applet continues to work properly after I suspend and resume my System76 PC. The Expo and Scale applets also work properly too. I am getting better energy efficiency and longer battery life. I can usually get four hours and forty-five minutes of battery life on a full charge or more using the Jupiter app. I also noticied that my ClipIt applet displays correctly without any visual glitches. This makes it more useful. This was a good point update release as it fixed some noticeable bugs and it improved energy efficiency. This was also a fast update which is encouraging to see. Cinnamon is still under development so new features will be added shortly.

I think that Cinnamon is my favorite desktop environment so far. K Desktop Environment is a close second because it is mature and polished and it is full featured.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    ...I think that Cinnamon is my favorite desktop environment so far....
    Glad you've found a DE you like. One trivial feature I would like to see in Cinnamon: The ability to use the mouse scroll button to shade windows. As it is, you can only double click, which I find annoyingly inelegant. Another is the ability to easily maximize applications without window borders (without having to install and tweak Maximus). A much more serious problem, to me, is panel transparency. The problem (through 1.4) is that applying transparency to the panel also makes the main menu unusably transparent. This, to me, is a fatal flaw. I'm more than a little surprised Clem hasn't fixed this.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What a PITA Cinnamon was today! Although it's Gnome's fault and I've had the same problem with Unity. The new Gnome Print manager doesn't work. I was doing some carpentry today and was asked to look at a laptop someone bought from a local business (they install Linux Mint Maya on used laptops). They couldn't set up their Network printer. Turns out one has to ALT-F2, then run system-config-printer, but c'mon... What kind of crackpot, tin hat decision was this? -- and this includes Unity, Gnome and Mint. They put out an OS that can't connect to a printer? Way to make Linux look good boys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I noticed that too. Cinnamon and GNOME don't have a built-in print manager like Microsoft Windows 7. It's difficult to manage multiple print jobs in Linux as a result especially if you are printing to different paper sources and weights and you are printing a complex set of documents including color graphics.

I am still using Cinnamon right now. It seems to be the best one for my needs without forgoing GTK3 or GNOME. It's especially light weight and fast which I appreciate. Cinnamon does a lot of things well and I would be hard pressed to go without it. I plan to go to my public library this evening to work on my essay to MSU, but I want to point out that Cinnamon helps me to get the job done with a minimum of fuss and delays.

I find myself using Cinnamon a lot nowadays so I guess it's my favorite DE. There are still bugs that I have noticed such as the lock screen does not activate immediately after I resume my System76 PC from suspend mode.

I will update this thread of mine later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    What a PITA Cinnamon was today! Although it's Gnome's fault and I've had the same problem with Unity. The new Gnome Print manager doesn't work. I was doing some carpentry today and was asked to look at a laptop someone bought from a local business (they install Linux Mint Maya on used laptops). They couldn't set up their Network printer. Turns out one has to ALT-F2, then run system-config-printer, but c'mon... What kind of crackpot, tin hat decision was this? -- and this includes Unity, Gnome and Mint. They put out an OS that can't connect to a printer? Way to make Linux look good boys.
    Yeah the 'printers' app in Gnome-shell is a definite step backward. I put a launcher on my desktop for 'system-config-printer'. Users and Groups is another step backward. Luckily the older Users and Groups is also available and once launched is available in applications. I think the idea was to reduce the number of ways a new user could screw things up. It may have worked, I don't know but that philosophy also makes administrative tasks a pain. As long as more functional apps still work I guess all is not lost. Does look bad to a skeptical new user though, no question.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    What error messages are you getting?
    I can't say what kind of error messages. The only signal i got was a pop-up menu telling me to send a crash report. And after a while my printer wasn't recognized anymore. Real strange.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

..........Cinnamon..........version of XFCE.
    It's not a sort of crippled Xfce. Cinnamon is based on Gnome3. It uses Gnome3 as a sort of building layer on which Cinnamon runs.

Not sure why anyone would want to use it except that it's built on a Gnome base and has a little extra bling.
    Simplicity? Speed? Not that ridiculus Unity environment? The menu looks as it should be in every distro? It's what users really want as a menu or DE? And what extra little bling you mean?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast