Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I recently tried Cinnamon out and it just felt lacking. Then I tried the latest KDE out and wondered why Cinnamon even exists.

But to each his own.
    agreed

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    After some fits, I finally got Cinnamon 1.6.0 on my Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service..........
    Do you have a sort of manual or how-to to install Cinnamon 1.6 under Ubuntu 12.04? I've installed 12.04 with Cinnamon 1.4 and it feels much better than Unity but looking at your post Cinnamon 1.6 must be much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yesterday, the official Cinnamon stable PPA got updated to version 1.6.0. I just waited until 7 PM EST to download and upgrade to Cinnamon 1.6.0 from 1.4.1.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebih...innamon-stable

Cinnamon stable PPA

Do not use the nightly PPA. It will break your Cinnamon desktop environment on Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS. It never worked for me.

Beans
    Distro

Cinnamon 1.6.0 is very stable and it makes the right set of compromises and it balances the new features quite nicely. This is an intriguing desktop environment. It has a light weight and minimalist user interface, look, and feel while adding on useful new features:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=195
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2135

Notifications applet, configurable ALT+TAB, keyboard navigation, and Windows quick lists are alone worth the upgrade. These new features modernize the digital work flow and it makes Cinnamon 1.6.0 capable and proficient as a modern desktop environment. I have not tried the scale and expo new features yet, but I have enabled them.

I have not tested Cinnamon 1.6.0 extensively under very heavy digital work flows yet. However, I may stress test it today to see how it performs and what kind of system resources it consumes compared to Ubuntu Unity 5.6. So far, everything is working out smoothly without any problems. The notifications applet is quite unobtrusive and it still lets me know about important system messages or alerts stemming from Ubuntu, Cinnamon, or my social media accounts and e-mail messages. I haven't figured out how to configure the ALT+TAB feature yet, but I am working on it soon. My understanding is that it is similar to the Microsoft Windows 7 Aero Peek feature except it only works when using the ALT+TAB key combination together. So far, I don't know how to get it to work, but that is due to the fact that I just upgraded to Cinnamon 1.6.0 yesterday. The windows quick lists are another feature that I need to try out and learn about in depth. I have not figured out how to make it work yet.

The biggest difference between Cinnamon 1.4.1 and 1.6.0 is that it has a much more minimalist and cleaner look and feel. Everything is polished up quite a bit with Cinnamon 1.6.0. I am figuring that there will be point updates that will be released fairly soon to address specific Linux Mint users that are trying to figure out how to use these new features. According to GNOME system monitor and system load indicator, Cinnamon 1.6.0 consumes about 10 - 15 percent less system resources under moderate load conditions. This translates to a more responsive Ubuntu that is significantly faster. Working with multiple software applications and windows is smoother and more responsive. Fewer applications crash now and notifications are less prominent and they do not force you to shift your focus on each alert. The other big difference is the menu system is faster and smoother. Navigating through the menu system is easier and search results are more precise and faster. The Nemo file manager has a couple of new buttons that make searching for folders and files faster and easier with greater precision. It has better organization and a cleaner look and feel than Nautilus.

For those that prefer simpler and more functional desktop environments, Cinnamon 1.6.0 gets high marks. It's a bit easier to navigate and it's much faster and more responsive. One positive aspect is that it consumes less pixels of resolution on the screen or monitor which leaves more ample space to manage windows and software applications. I only have a low resolution 1366 X 768 HD resolution screen so this is critical. It's like Google Chrome web browser in that regard. You get more real estate to work on your stuff with fewer things getting in the way and fewer problems or crashes.

I can see why Cinnamon is so popular among Linux Mint users. One thing is that it does not require you to log out and log in as frequently to make changes take into effect. You can add applets, extensions, and themes and make changes instantly. It has a beautiful collection of wallpapers and themes.

I am finally getting more than 4 hours of battery life using Cinnamon 1.6.0 on my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC which tells me that it consumes very little system resources.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a list of the new features including highlights regarding Cinnamon 1.6.0:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    Here is a list of the new features including highlights regarding Cinnamon 1.6.0:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207
    Well, they finally added "configurable panel heights", which was something that used to drive me crazy about Cinnamon. The panel is so small, and the buttons and icons are hard on the eyes. Before, you had to edit code in 2 or 3 different scripts to change it, and it was still buggy and imperfect to where it was unusable if you tried to change the size of all that. I'm glad to see they finally got that worked in.

Maybe by the time 2.6 comes out, I'll try it out again.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is this usefull when using the Cinneman Desktop Environment?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    Is this usefull when using the Cinneman Desktop Environment?
    That actually looks very useful.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That actually looks very useful.
    Only if compatible with the latest cinnamon 1.6...

Beans

Just installed it - and it works great...

I've also installed all the cinnamon extras and they seem to be working just fine...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast