Thread: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cinnamon Desktop Environment

I have a new System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC with Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service and Linux kernel 3.3.6-030300 along with Mozilla Firefox Aurora 17.0a2 and Cinnamon 1.4 stable. I have been playing around with different desktop environments in the past few months and I have just settled upon Cinnamon 1.4 stable. Why? It is hyper fast and super stable! It is not Ubuntu Unity! I can easily read the fonts without causing eye strain. It resembles Microsoft Windows and KDE with the GNOME elements. It is in active development and future improved versions are being released on a timely basis. It is actively supported within the Linux Mint community. Ubuntu users can download and install a Cinnamon PPA and get the Cinnamon goodness for free. It supports GTK3 which is important for certain third-party, closed source, proprietary software applications that I installed like Adobe Air and Zinio Reader 4. Finally, it just works (TM)!

I have been ignoring Cinnamon 1.4 stable for quite some time, but I decided to give it a go tonight because I got fed up with the quirks associated with GNOME 3.4.1. I value clear and concise organization for my software applications and I like how Cinnamon retains the original GNOME 2.x layout while incorporating some of the better aspects of GNOME 3.x, KDE, and Microsoft Windows. It is very thoughtfully well put together. It is designed for modern digital work flows for desktop users. There are no fancy effects that are frivolous and obviously designed for a touch centric input devices such as smart phones, tablets, and e-book readers to add confusion, complexity, and degraded PC performance. It is light on system resources and it is extremely fast on modern PCs. It is also super stable as I have yet to encounter any serious bugs that disrupt my digital work flow. It gets out of the way just enough to let me focus on my work without being too bland or boring. Cinnamon adds the right blend of spice to the desktop without overpowering any particular elements. It is very well balanced and thoroughly useful.

Cinnamon 1.6 is in preview now, but I decided to add the Cinnamon Nightly PPA. I plan to see what the fuss is all about after upgrading, logging out, and logging back in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

I couldn't get the Cinnamon Nightly PPA to work properly. I am using Cinnamon 1.4.0-1 UP3 right now which is the latest stable version. I love it a lot. I think that I will continue to use it throughout this entire week to see how much I can learn how to use it to maximum productivity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to the Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The last time i tried Cinnamon 1.4, it was very unstable for me. As well as sorely missing alot of extras and plugins, that others DEs have, and so it wasn't very productive for me..
    I do agree that it is very lightweight though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cinnamon 1.6 has been officially released.

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wheeze View Post
    Cinnamon 1.6 has been officially released.

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207
    just installed it from the AUR using yaourt and I have to say I think I would actually prefer stock gnome3. It's been my experience that cinnamon doesn't run well on anything but mint. Maybe if i had something more powerful than a netbook. back to xfce it is.
    Last edited by mamamia88; September 18th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    [...] get the Cinnamon goodness for free.
    You don't say?!

Beans

Yep was away for a few years as Ubuntu didn't have the photography editing & processing tools I needed then.
    So been a windows 7 guy.

For my need of higher end post processing and editing of raw images. And hate Gimp with a passion.

Came back to the Ubuntu to check on the progress and wasn't a happy camper about Unity so began the search and found Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon. Coupled with RawTherapee and Darktable Might I very well may be around for awhile.

Loving how Cinnamon is coming running 1.6 and mint dropped Nautilus and going with Nemo 1.1.2 and seems a little less feature rich Nautilus but less bloat and troublesome Nautilus. And already fixes & added functionality is being done.

Who knows another 6 months will bring?
    Last edited by orb9220; November 21st, 2012 at 12:01 AM.