Thread: Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop

Beans

Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop

The Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop comes with Ubuntu installed. Has anyone any experience with this model, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks

Paul

Beans

Re: Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop

I just got mine and I'd say my experiences are mixed so far.

It came out of the box with 11.10 installed. There was an annoying flickering green line about six pixels wide across the top of the display. A few attempts at eliminating it failed so I upgraded to 12.04, which solved the problem but broke the wireless of course. Fortunately this fix worked like a charm:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/17510...stro-3460-3560

So far I like it a little better than the Lenovo B570 it replaced due to a failed motherboard. It's lighter and the battery life is a little longer.

Beans

Thanks for your reply.
    From the tone you do not sound very happy with the dell, coming with a 2 year old OS and all.
    I think I will reconsider this and look at Lenovo, If they still follow IBM quality then I'll go for one of them, I have had an A340 & T61 both worked with out the slightest issue.
    That is unless someone else has better experience with the dell.
    Thanks

Paul

Beans

Russia review Dell Vostro 2520

Beans

It's not bad. It seems like a decent buy for the price (I paid around $300 on sale). The only thing that bothers me with it is the touchpad intermittently losing most cursor control, requiring a restart. Other then that I'm fairly happy with it. The boot time seems to be a bit on the slow side.