Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: vdpau black screen (monitor off) in mythTV

Beans

Re: vdpau black screen (monitor off) in mythTV

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    Are there any clues in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that show up at the same time as the screen goes blank/off?

Do you have the Myth fe set up to use different video mode for GUI & to playback?

You posted previous that this TV worked okay with another revo-ION box?
    Suggests there must be a residual config file or myth database setting causing this problem.

When you use nvidia-settings:
    - do all the listed available video modes actually work when you select them?
    The file /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't change after I reproduce the problem. No extra lines are added to the log file. I even closed and reopened it.

I do not have the FE setup to use a different video mode for Gui vs playback.

The TV is fine. This nettop worked just fine after I removed those old filters. Then, I upgraded to 12.04 and it started to have the same issue, and the filters are not there.

I've never used anything else but 1920x1080. But I did try a couple other common resolutions 1280x720, etc. I tried about 4 others and they "work" when I select them. If you mean that the tv/driver/pc works with those resolutions, then yes. Also, I noticed that when I did that the Xorg.0.log file changed....so I know if something was going to get written to that file when I tried to play the file, I would have seen it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And this problem only occurs with MythTV playback (just like before) ?

You have the same RAM setup as the other working revo box ?
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; November 11th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Beans

And this problem only occurs with MythTV playback (just like before) ?
    Right. When I try to play a recording, it's like the tv turns off, but I can hear the audio. Same exact thing as before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is the RAM setup the same as the other working Revo box ?

How is your audio output setup ?
    HDMI audio to TV as stereo PCM or AC3 ?
    Maybe this upsets the TV..
    Using the MythTV AC3 encoder ?

Beans

Looks like we are all clutching at the same straws here...

I think David should take a very close look at his playback profiles. For each machine (ie one that works and the one that doesn't, both with same hardware, the following mysql might assist.

Code:
    select * from displayprofilegroups where hostname = 'lounge';
    +---------------------+----------+----------------+
    | name                | hostname | profilegroupid |
    | High Quality        | lounge   |            141 |
    | Normal              | lounge   |            142 |
    | Slim                | lounge   |            143 |
    | VDPAU High Quality  | lounge   |            144 |
    | VDPAU Normal        | lounge   |            145 |
    | VDPAU Slim          | lounge   |            146 |
    | OpenGL Slim         | lounge   |            188 |
    | OpenGL Normal       | lounge   |            187 |
    | OpenGL High Quality | lounge   |            186 |
    9 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    As you see this will give you a set of playback profile names and corresponding profilegroupids. Note the profilegroupid for the profile name that you are using, say it's VDPAU Normal which is number 145. Then:

Code:
    select * from displayprofiles where profilegroupid=145;
    +----------------+-----------+--------------------+-------------------------+
    | profilegroupid | profileid | value              | data                    |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_priority      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_cmp0          | >= 0 720                |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_decoder       | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_max_cpus      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_skiploop      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_videorenderer | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_osdrenderer   | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_osdfade       | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_deint0        | vdpaubasicdoublerate    |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_deint1        | vdpaubasic              |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_filters       | vdpaucolorspace=auto    |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_priority      | 2                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_cmp0          | > 0 0                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_decoder       | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_max_cpus      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_skiploop      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_videorenderer | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_osdrenderer   | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_osdfade       | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_deint0        | vdpauadvanceddoublerate |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_deint1        | vdpauadvanced           |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_filters       | vdpaucolorspace=auto    |
    22 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    This will give you a list of the settings for that profile which you can compare to the other machine and see if there are any differences. You could in fact output the settings to two files (profile,working and profile.notworking) and then use diff to compare them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Looks like we are all clutching at the same straws here...

I think David should take a very close look at his playback profiles. For each machine (ie one that works and the one that doesn't, both with same hardware, the following mysql might assist.

Code:
    select * from displayprofilegroups where hostname = 'lounge';
    | name                | hostname | profilegroupid |
    | High Quality        | lounge   |            141 |
    | Normal              | lounge   |            142 |
    | Slim                | lounge   |            143 |
    | VDPAU High Quality  | lounge   |            144 |
    | VDPAU Normal        | lounge   |            145 |
    | VDPAU Slim          | lounge   |            146 |
    | OpenGL Slim         | lounge   |            188 |
    | OpenGL Normal       | lounge   |            187 |
    | OpenGL High Quality | lounge   |            186 |
    9 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    As you see this will give you a set of playback profile names and corresponding profilegroupids. Note the profilegroupid for the profile name that you are using, say it's VDPAU Normal which is number 145. Then:

Code:
    select * from displayprofiles where profilegroupid=145;
    | profilegroupid | profileid | value              | data                    |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_priority      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_cmp0          | >= 0 720                |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_decoder       | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_max_cpus      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_skiploop      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_videorenderer | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_osdrenderer   | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_osdfade       | 1                       |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_deint0        | vdpaubasicdoublerate    |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_deint1        | vdpaubasic              |
    |            145 |       471 | pref_filters       | vdpaucolorspace=auto    |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_priority      | 2                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_cmp0          | > 0 0                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_decoder       | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_max_cpus      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_skiploop      | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_videorenderer | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_osdrenderer   | vdpau                   |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_osdfade       | 1                       |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_deint0        | vdpauadvanceddoublerate |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_deint1        | vdpauadvanced           |
    |            145 |       472 | pref_filters       | vdpaucolorspace=auto    |
    22 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    This will give you a list of the settings for that profile which you can compare to the other machine and see if there are any differences. You could in fact output the settings to two files (profile,working and profile.notworking) and then use diff to compare them.
    I'm not sure where to input these select statements.

Beans

I don't have another Revo. I had another nettop, which was very similar. Right now I'm running the Revo nettop as a frontend and my main desktop PC with front/backend. The other nettop is not running at the myth moment.

The Revo worked (with the filter fix) up until I did an upgrade to 12.04. The "upgrade" didn't really take, so I did a fresh install. My home dir is a separate partition, but /etc and whatever else is blown away, so there shouldn't be anything residual except maybe the home dir.

I suppose it's possible that some audio encoder/format or whatever is causing an issue, but I do hear the audio just fine. It is going through HDMI and also the headphone port is also outputting sound.

I'm not sure how/where to change it to PCM vs AC3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    I'm not sure where to input these select statements.
    Sorry I assumed too much mysql knowledge.

run the following at the commandline and you will get a mysql prompt:

Code:
    mysql -h media -p -u mythtv mythconverg
    where media is the name of my backend, substitute your own. It wil prompt you for a password which is the database password from ~/.mythtv/config.xml or mysql.txt.

Then you can enter the suggested statements. The ; at the end of each line is needed. ctrl-d to exit mysql.

If you want the results paged like when you use less, type
    Code:
    \P less
    at the mysql prompt (although the results from my suggested queries should be short enough to see on one page).

Beans

I can do this for the backend/frontend machine, but not on the frontend. Basically, I can't get into the mysql prompt for the separate frontend machine. I used the correct host (even just tried 127.0.0.1) with the same mysql/myth database password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

From a terminal is this any easier ?

Assuming user mythtv & password mythtv:
    Code:
    echo "select select * from displayprofilegroups;" | mysql -N -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
    Eyeball the listed hostnames, find the target..
    (for example "mymaster")

Code:
    echo "select select * from displayprofilegroups where hostname = 'mymaster';" | mysql -N -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast