Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Excessive Increase in Power Consumption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Excessive Increase in Power Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Thanks, you just proved my point. , that for some Ubuntu at this time, may not be right for the hardware they are using
    "Tough luck dude, go away" - I hope that's not Canonical's attidue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This has gone far enough, I guess I've been a little obtuse, I've suggested trying other distro's so that you can come back and report if others have solved the problem.

Ubuntu is a community that depends on it's members to help make things better, if you can try other distros, and compare the differences between them and Ubuntu, and create meaningful bug reports, maybe this problem can be resolved before the next LTS release.

Beans

power consumption largely depends on linux kernel. I'm sure u have noticed the different versions of linux kernel used in precise and in quantal.

Quote Originally Posted by Appleshare View Post
    Obviously Apple has an advantage, but like I wrote, the power consumption increased between Precise and Quantal by 40% (and all pre-Precise releases were much the same as Precise).

I did not post the Phoronix link so much for the comparison to OS X, but to confirm that they have the same 20 W consumption in Quantal as I quoted for my machine.

EDIT: And it's not only a question of decreased utility, but also an environmental one according to Ubuntu's own principles. A few releases back there was a big push to improve power consumption by eliminating even small inefficiencies. And Ubuntu/Canonical explicitly mentioned environmental reasosn for doing so - millions of Ubuntu machines add up. Well, the sum of small improvements that were made back then were wiped out in one strike with Quantal at least for some hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by funicorn View Post
    power consumption largely depends on linux kernel. I'm sure u have noticed the different versions of linux kernel used in precise and in quantal.
    Yeah, and there were also different versions in all releases, yet it was not so bad.

Beans
    Distro

This has gone far enough, I guess I've been a little obtuse, I've suggested trying other distro's so that you can come back and report if others have solved the problem.

Ubuntu is a community that depends on it's members to help make things better, if you can try other distros, and compare the differences between them and Ubuntu, and create meaningful bug reports, maybe this problem can be resolved before the next LTS release.
    If you phrase it that way I totally agree, and I've been reporting lots of bugs for Quantal and will continue to do so. It's still a shame, and let me remind you that while my MacBookPro might be a bit exotic hardware for Ubuntu, the original poster in the thread has a Lenovo Thinkpad t420i (according to his signature), which is not exotic at all.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, distro Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS has solved this and a bunch of other B2 problems and anklebiters that we've been reporting. I've a bunch of things on B2 that don't work right. Sure feels to some of us like they crammed a bunch of new half-baked stuff into B2 instead of just using B2 to clean off remaining B1 bugs. Put the new stuff in to 13.04, my opinion, I'm just a user/tester.

My fallback distro is Precise, and perhaps 13.04 Alpha will come out and I can shake 12.10 off my foot. I'm still reporting/following 12.10 bugs in the meantime. I'm on holiday using my daughter's MacBook (hardly know how) and will get back to looking at B2 when we're home.

Beans
    Distro

I think that since this is happening on bog-standard hardware as well, a warning should be added to the release notes.

Beans
    Distro

Good news FYI: When switching from the nouveau drivers to the proprietary nvidia-current, power consumption is reduced by ca. 5 W in idle from ca. 20.5 to ca. 15.5, and around 18 W when stuff is running and using 30% CPU plus frequent disk accesses.

With that consumption when using nvidia-current, Quantal is back in the ballpark of previous Ubuntu releases. So that's good. (And in addition, nvidia-current makes suspend work, which is another thing currently broken with nouveau (LP #1055475)).

However, in Quantal, nouveau seems to be the default for Nvidia cards. And nvidia-current and nvidia-experimental-304 are currently not practical on my MacBookPro because backlight adjustment is broken (another regression). This affects also more usual hardware, see e.g. LP #1046088

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Appleshare View Post
    Good news FYI: When switching from the nouveau drivers to the proprietary nvidia-current, power consumption is reduced by ca. 5 W in idle from ca. 20.5 to ca. 15.5, and around 18 W when stuff is running and using 30% CPU plus frequent disk accesses.

With that consumption when using nvidia-current, Quantal is back in the ballpark of previous Ubuntu releases. So that's good. (And in addition, nvidia-current makes suspend work, which is another thing currently broken with nouveau (LP #1055475)).

However, in Quantal, nouveau seems to be the default for Nvidia cards. And nvidia-current and nvidia-experimental-304 are currently not practical on my MacBookPro because backlight adjustment is broken (another regression). This affects also more usual hardware, see e.g. LP #1046088
    maybe backlightx will work for you
    run ls /sys/class/backlight/ to see if the where line is right
    my backlight works for me using nvidia's drivers but this is not a mac
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345