Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Increase in Power Consumption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Excessive Increase in Power Consumption

MacBook Pro 5,4 (graphic card NVIDIA Corporation C79 [GeForce 9400M] (rev b1))

Power consumption up to Precise ca. 14 W, in Quantal ca. 20 W. Battery life from 3:45 to 2:30. Playing with powertop tweaks does not help. Up to Precise I always used the nvidia drivers, but backlight control is broken for these, so in Quantal running nouveau. But it looks like it is running Unity 3D, not llvmpipe (?):

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVAC
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.0-devel

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes

Beans
    Distro

MacBook Pro - Ubuntu Linux: 21 Watts, OS X: 9 Watts

Posted by Michael Larabel on August 23, 2012

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE2Njk
    Last edited by cariboo907; October 6th, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Remove unneeded font formatting to comply with C of C

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How doers Ubuntu power usage compare with other Linux distributions?

Comparing a generic operating system designed to run on as many hardware platforms with an operating system specifically designed for the hardware it runs on, really doesn't prove much, except that the kernel devs don't have the same access to hardware specs, as Apple developers do.

Beans
    Distro

Obviously Apple has an advantage, but like I wrote, the power consumption increased between Precise and Quantal by 40% (and all pre-Precise releases were much the same as Precise).

I did not post the Phoronix link so much for the comparison to OS X, but to confirm that they have the same 20 W consumption in Quantal as I quoted for my machine.

EDIT: And it's not only a question of decreased utility, but also an environmental one according to Ubuntu's own principles. A few releases back there was a big push to improve power consumption by eliminating even small inefficiencies. And Ubuntu/Canonical explicitly mentioned environmental reasosn for doing so - millions of Ubuntu machines add up. Well, the sum of small improvements that were made back then were wiped out in one strike with Quantal at least for some hardware.
    Last edited by Appleshare; October 6th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The power consuption has more to do with the kernel, which Ubuntu really has no control over, they make some customizations the suit the distribution, but other wise, it is pretty well as comes from the kernel developers.

Beans
    Distro

So what are you arguing for, that is does not matter or nothing can/should be done? I don't get your point.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What I'm saying is that out-of-the-box Ubuntu may not be the best solution for your hardware. Try a vanilla kernel available here, try different distributions, to see if the problem has been solved elsewhere.
    Last edited by cariboo907; October 7th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The power consuption has more to do with the kernel, which Ubuntu really has no control over, they make some customizations the suit the distribution, but other wise, it is pretty well as comes from the kernel developers.
    I can't agree with that. Until last week i used Ubuntu on my laptop, and my battery life was 3:25. After i switched to Xubuntu, which has the same kernel, my battery life went to 5:10. Both System uses the same kernel, so imo it's fixable.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - A. Einstein

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    What I'm saying is that out-of-the-box Ubuntu may not be the best solution for your hardware. Try a vanilla kernel available here, try different distributions, to see if the problem has been solved elsewhere.
    For the third time, all was reasonably fine from 2009 until and including Precise. And I certainly have no desire to hunt for a different distro, I have been happy with Ubuntu since Warty and just lived through the rather painful transition to Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by baizon View Post
    I can't agree with that. Until last week i used Ubuntu on my laptop, and my battery life was 3:25. After i switched to Xubuntu, which has the same kernel, my battery life went to 5:10. Both System uses the same kernel, so imo it's fixable.
    Thanks, you just proved my point. , that for some Ubuntu at this time, may not be right for the hardware they are using

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast