Thread: NVIDIA driver - massive blocky characters on splash screen

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

NVIDIA driver - massive blocky characters on splash screen

I just installed Xubuntu 12.04 onto my desktop and I seem to have an issue with the NVIDIA drivers. On the splash screen right before the login screen, where it usually says "Xubuntu" with the dots beneath it, the text is blocky and unreadable. Yet there dont seem to be any issues when i get past that into XFCE, no obvious graphical glitches. The same thing happens when I enter into a fullscreen terminal (Ctrl>Alt>F1), its completely unreadable. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver for my card (GeForce 6600) from NVIDIA and tried to install it, but since i have to kill the xserver in the fullscreen terminal and the text is so unreadable i cant really tell whats going on. So i tried using additional drivers to download the post-release-updates driver. upon reboot it still showed blocky characters and my computer seemed to think i had two monitors (the top XFCE panel ran off my monitor onto an imaginary second monitor). so i reverted back to the default NVIDIA driver and am not sure what to do next. i dont recall ever having this issue before, even though i have installed Ubuntu and/or Xubuntu onto this computer several times. Could it be that the card is going bad? i certainly hope not...
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: NVIDIA driver - massive blocky characters on splash screen

*BUMP* any ideas?
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi

I have the same graphic card as you but I install older driver as you - I don't have problem like you describe. I sugest to install older driver and attachment a log file from system.

Best regards
    Przemysław Suszek - Analityk IT, Tani nocleg zakopane
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ | 2 GB DDR 400Mhz | NVidia GeForce 6800 GT | Barracuda 80GB 7200 rpm 8MB cache | LCD LG W2252S ~ 1680x1050

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure it's an Nvidia driver issue. I haven't seen it on 12.04 but it has been a common occurrence with 12.10 for me. I suspect it's an Nvidia hardware/Nouveau issue. I don't think Nvidia drivers come into use until well along in the boot process. I was also seeing the 'interesting' graphics with the Nvidia drivers unloaded. Once the D.E. loads, the problem no longer occurs.
    Last edited by kurt18947; September 20th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.