Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: New grub NOT mega-multi-boot freindly

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    Yup, bugs:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1051624
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1050774

A big +1 to this one, really a mess when having several installations. have to go to 'e' to see where things are.

Colin is working on the script errors, and the long extraneous menu items.
    Very strange ATM
    But these bugs for something else, if I read correctly?!
    The issue that the OP is talking about, if I'm not mistaken, is something else? or perhaps I'm too confuse?
    My Website: http://amjjawad.net
    My Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad
    Current Projects: Kibo, ToriOS and Ubuntu GNOME
    Member of GNOME Foundation and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    But these bugs for something else, if I read correctly?!
    The issue that the OP is talking about, if I'm not mistaken, is something else? or perhaps I'm too confuse?
    I am not sure, I am using the new Grub 2.0 from Quantal on my test rig, and the long entries issue has been fixed but IDK about how it is working with using older grub installs.
    I do know it took me going back into my other installs and running 'update-grub' to get all the long entries to clean up.
    I've been busy with other things so haven't investigated the issue since it was resolved for my installation of Grub to MBR of this machine. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since a week or so, when i boot on QQ, i first see this mysterious error: "prereset failed errno=-19", then booting continue. PP is not affected, even if now grub2.0 (QQ) is only installed on all hdds.

Beans
    Distro

This actual Grub 2 will be great on a simple dual boot machine with only two OS. It does not show any of that Ubuntu with Linux 3.5.0-15 stuff which a new user would find confusing. I certainly did when I set up my first dual boot and that was with another version of Ubuntu.

But Grub 2 is most definitely not helping when there are several installs of Ubuntu on the hard disk. I have 1 x 12.04 and 3 x 12.10 and 12.04 is the only one I know that I am booting into.

We should also not that in Grub.cfg set root = 'hd0, msdos5' is the way it identifies sda5. The other partitions follow a similar pattern.

It think that a lot of confusion in the menu is being caused by Grub update not only interrogating the partitions looking for boot images but it also reads old Grub configuration files. So, the old 'with Linux' designations get put in the menu as bootable images when they are already covered by Ubuntu (development branch) (12.10). Duplicate boot choices, in other words.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Not to mention the fact that GRUB2 2.00 STILL doesn't identify and list a Vista install, if there is (as there usually is) a Vista Recovery partition first.

Had to put mine into a 40_custom to be able to access it....

Launchpad bug #1058476
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Distro

Haven't installed GRUB version 2.0 on the MBR yet but from what I'm reading here, it seems that installing GRUB Customizer is necessary now, specially if it's a multi-boot system.

Edit:
    YES, I know this is not a solution.
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 1st, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    I am not sure, I am using the new Grub 2.0 from Quantal on my test rig, and the long entries issue has been fixed but IDK about how it is working with using older grub installs.
    I do know it took me going back into my other installs and running 'update-grub' to get all the long entries to clean up.
    I've been busy with other things so haven't investigated the issue since it was resolved for my installation of Grub to MBR of this machine. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Never mind but since I'm not the only one who noticed that long entries and since you guys are discussing that here, it seems it's a bug but with what exactly? with GRUB version 2 or 1.99? I mean as long as GRUB version 1.99 is installed on the MBR and we run "update-grub" to update GRUB 1.99 menu then, IMHO, I think GRUB 1.99 is not yet 100% compatible with GRUB 2.0 and vice versa.

Beans
    Distro

In my humble opinion I think that the issue is with update-grub and how it works.

Yesterday the update to my 12.04 brought in an update to Grub 1.99 and now the 12.04 Grub menu is in control and there are about 30 menu lines.

I have 12.10 on sda5, sda7, sda8. But Grub 1.99 is putting set root hd0,msdos5 for kernels that are on sda7 and sda8. By the way msdos5 = sda5. I have not tested out to see what happens if I select one of those crossed matched references. Not yet.

I have also tried running update-grub on the three Quantal installs and the read out is as it should be. But the 12.04 Grub remains in charge. It is not over written.

I have also tested the latest Grub customizer as I like that utility a lot but it does not cope very well with the sub menu options. The author has not noticed that there is a difference between Grub 1.99 and Grub 2. So, we need to be patient here also.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 1st, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have 12.10 on sda5, sda7, sda8. But Grub 1.99 is putting set root hd0,msdos5 for kernels that are on sda7 and sda8. By the way msdos5 = sda5. I have not tested out to see what happens if I select one of those crossed matched references. Not yet.
    I noticed something similar. I'd just installed a fresh 12.10 on sda15, but the boot menu line that indicated msdos15 actually booted an Lubuntu 12.10 on sda10

Since I've been using a somewhat stable Ubuntu 12.04 to control my multi-boot mess I've just been reverting my 12.10 installs to legacy grub. I know that's not a good way of doing things but I just have too much on my plate to deal with the new grub issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

A smart guy Ranch Hand on this forum showed me how to make custom entries on Grub and
    they work just as well on Quantal Quetzal with Grub 2.00 as on every Ubuntu back to Lucid Lynx and before.

If you have ever deleted a partition that one of your Buntus were on and reinstalled it there
    You need to edit fstab to correct the entries which show up on the grub menu.
    Since even when you delete a partition, somehow the UUID that it used before is kept until you correct it.
    I had removed and reinstalled 2 of my Ubuntus and wondered why the normal grub2 screen displayed the wrong partitions.
    This is because the fstab entries were wrong on those 2 Ubuntus.
    The How to in my signature also solves this problem. The How to has been converted into a wiki but, has not been linked to my How to yet.
    But, there is a link to the wiki on the above link if you want to check it out.
    It has several examples of what my grub2 screens have looked like over time.
    And you would want to install grub on which ever Ubuntu you want to be your main OS.
    By logging into that Ubuntu and entering
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    (where sda is drive 1) as mentioned earlier.

The only difference between Grub 1.99 and Grub 2.00 is that if you have windows installed,
    Grub 1.99 gives an erroneous error when selecting windows:
    Code:
    Error: No argument specified.  

Press any key to contiue...
    But, if you wait or just press enter it goes into windows without any problems.

I am glad that Grub 2.00 does not give that error when selecting windows.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 4th, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: take out reference
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast