Thread: Using IPTABLES to black HTTPS to certain sites only

Beans

Using IPTABLES to black HTTPS to certain sites only

Hi,

I'm trying to block youtube.com during business hours using squid, however since this is a transparent proxy people are able to bypass it by using https://....... (port 443).

I want to use iptables to block port 443 but only to youtube.com servers, as other port 443 functionality is required for other tasks.

I've tried a lot of different combinations, including:
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -m string --string "youtube.com" algo bm -j REJECT
    blocking Youtube's ip's is almost impossible as they change each time a do an nslookup.

Does anybody know how this can be done?
    Last edited by Nessaja; September 17th, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Addition to content

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Using IPTABLES to black HTTPS to certain sites only

Blocking on 'string' will only block unencrypted packets containing the letters 'youtube.com' in that sequence.

If you want to block Youtube, you'll have to block the whole subnet it is on. Looking up the ip number(s) for Youtube using host or dig, we see that there are several hosts using 173.194.32.*. We can look up one of them with whois and see that the network for Youtube is actually 173.194.0.0/16, so that's what you need to try to block.

Code:
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -d 173.194.0.0/16 --dport 443 -j REJECT
    However, there are still ways around it. What you need to do is address the behavioral problems and there isn't going to be a technical solution for that.