Thread: symbolic links vs bind mounts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

symbolic links vs bind mounts

Hello Community,

I would like to ask your opinion about the differences in practice between the following two methods:
    * mount with option "bind"
    * symbolic link

Reason of my question : My data (documents, music, photos, etc...) lie on different partitions that are mounted at startup, and from each user account, I refer to htese mounted directories with one of the above mentionned methods. For example :

* my /home lies in the partition sda1. It contains subdirectories /home/user1 and /home/user2.
    * Data for all users are in the partition sda2, which is mounted at startup in /data. It contains /data/user1 and /data/user2 which respectively contain directoris "Documents", "Images" ...

Method 1 (for user1):
    * There is a directory /home/user1/Documents which is empty
    * I have e bind mount (in fstab)
    /data/user1/Documents /home/Documents none rw,bind 0 0

Method 2 (for user2)
    * There is a symbolic link /home/user2/Documents pointing to /data/user2/Documents

What is in your opinion the advantages/drawbacks of each method ?
    Thanks

nicolas

Beans

Re: symbolic links vs bind mounts

I use bind mostly because I use Samba to share folders across the network and Samba does not allow a client to follow symlinks. There is a way to override this default setting but Samba regards it as a security issue.

The other thing for me is that I truly don't like symlinks although there's no logical reason for that. I don't use fstab for bind instead opting for having it mounted in a Upstart job at boot but either way you can look at fstab or the Upstart job and always see the complete list of folders that you are linking together.