Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice

Beans

Google Voice

I need some help deciding how Ubuntu can best help me use Google Voice.

I keep open a browser instance in which I am logged into gmail so that I can answer incoming calls. When a call comes in I have to scramble to find that instance and bring it into focus so that I can answer the call. What would be absolutely great would be to have a pop-up appear that would allow me to answer the call. That's probably asking a bit much. I attended an Ubuntu meeting recently in which a new feature of 12.10 was mentioned which sounded like it might help me with this problem. I don't really remember any of the specifics about the feature.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is suggestions on how I can best handle this problem both immediately and after 12.10 is released (if there is any difference). TIA for any input.

... doug

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Google Voice

You want to trigger the NotifyOSD. Open a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T:
    Code:
    notify-send Google ring

Beans

> notify-send Google ring

Entering, "notify-send Google ring" at the command prompt causes the bubble to appear with "Google" on the first line and "ring" on the second. So, I'm going to hazard that it works.

I truly hate to be so dense; but, I don't see how that helps me. I called my GV number from another line and nothing happened on my Ubuntu desktop. I'm absolutely confident that what you have given me is exactly what I'm looking for. Apparently, I just don't have the smarts to appreciate how it works. Could you please help me a bit more and provide some guidance on how this is going to help me? Sorry. Thanks.

... doug

Beans

Me too. That would be cool.

Beans

There are apps for Windows, You can do this in growl in OSX.

But the closet I could find for Linux is this.. http://googsystray.sourceforge.net/

I don't know how to compile.. Maybe someone can show us how?

I'd love a system wide pop up when I get a GV call. I did make my gmail page into a webapp using fogger so I don't have to keep GV open in a browser tab.

Works fine.. I just park it in a workspace.. Howsoever.. If I'm gaming or playing music.. I won't hear an incoming call ring.. A system pop up notifier would be great!
    New Orleans-Proud to Swim Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Er...Wojox was only making the point that you might want to use the system notifications. That command was only an example of how those notifications are called. You would need to work it into a bash script that monitors Google Voice and then issues the notify-send command when there is an incoming call.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I've found what you're looking for. It's a couple years old, and the project doesn't seem to have ongoing support, but I successfully installed it on a VM with Precise. It integrates into the menu as it should, and clicking on it brings up a prompt for Google Voice credentials. Unfortunately, I'm not set up with Google Voice yet, so I can't test it any further than that.

Read more here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was wrong. While my previous post is a great way to easily check for voicemails and SMS, I don't think it does anything for incoming calls.

Beans

I found a deb package for it.. It installs.. but crashes at points. Also after setting it up for GV and calling the number.. I get no pop up.. o well.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-50805.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I think I've found what you're looking for. It's a couple years old, and the project doesn't seem to have ongoing support, but I successfully installed it on a VM with Precise. It integrates into the menu as it should, and clicking on it brings up a prompt for Google Voice credentials. Unfortunately, I'm not set up with Google Voice yet, so I can't test it any further than that.

Read more here.
    newb85.. This is almost what we need. It's very good and it does do a pop up message... When I set it up I checked it for 1 minute. After set up..I can find no way to go back in to edit it.

At least at 1 minute.. I can get to the voice message fast and return the call. I'm wondering if there is a way to edit it..to say 10-15 seconds and I might be able to answer the call. Still , this is getting close..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast