Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is System76's support deteriorating?

Beans

Re: Is System76's support deteriorating?

At this point, I no longer suspect the switch. It seems that the switch works much better after the machine has been on for a while. If the machine is powered off over night, it takes 10-15 minutes to get it started. Once the machine has been up for a while, it seems to turn on more reliably.

So at this point, we suspect the power supply, and have ordered a replacement from Amazon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear about your experience! That's definitely not the standards we hold ourselves to, and I'm looking into exactly what happened with this case.

Can you elaborate on what exactly the problem is? I'll need details about all of the problems you're seeing, and what you'd like to see to get this problem resolved.

Also, feel free to open a new ticket on the website. I can try and ensure that you get a different tech to handle your problem.
    Thanks for the response. Again, this is not my machine, but my father's, which makes it a bit more difficult to diagnose, since we live two timezones apart. My father is very frustrated. He's tried calling, talking on chat, sending email - and everytime he gets the same guy no matter what. He even tried emailing the salesperson who sold him the machine, and got the same frontline tech guy he always gets.

The problem is basically this: When the machine (a wildebeest) has been turned off for a while (such as overnight), it takes 10-15 minutes of playing with the switch to get it to turn on. Sometimes it will start, get to the initial POST screen, and shut back down. Most of the time, it does nothing. Eventually it will turn on. Once it is up and running, it functions properly, and power cycling the machine seems to work much better. But as soon as it sits powered off for a while, he has to go through the whole procedure again.

At this point, we feel that the switch is probably not the problem, so we have ordered a replacement power supply. After searching tech forums, it seems that others have experienced similar problems with machines when the power supply was going bad. It seems that the power supply needs to "warm up" before it works. I'm not sure yet what steps to take if this fails as a solution.

Beans

For reference, the case number was reported as #1947

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dallingham View Post
    For reference, the case number was reported as #1947
    Okay, at this point in might be prudent to diagnose the switch and rule out definitively if it's the problem or not. You can do this by removing the side panel of the system, unplugging the power switch connector (it should be the black/brown wire plug), then directly shorting the pins that connects to. This should power the system on every time, and if not, the power supply is definitely at fault. If it does, then it's the switch.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Okay, at this point in might be prudent to diagnose the switch and rule out definitively if it's the problem or not. You can do this by removing the side panel of the system, unplugging the power switch connector (it should be the black/brown wire plug), then directly shorting the pins that connects to. This should power the system on every time, and if not, the power supply is definitely at fault. If it does, then it's the switch.
    It looks like my father just confirmed that the problem is not the switch, but the power supply. When he shorted the pins, the fans would start for a few seconds, then stop. He was able to eventually bring it up, after many, many attempts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay. There are a couple of things you can try at this point. First, try the system while using a different circuit in your house. This rules out any sort of power fluctuations or problems that would explain our inability to replicate the issue here. You should also try reseating all of the connectors on the motherboard to ensure that there isn't any loose hardware. Reseating the RAM would also be a good idea. Loose hardware or plugs can cause problems like this by creating unexpected shorts.

If that doesn't solve it, then either the motherboard or power supply is at fault. I'm leaning toward the motherbaord, since usually with power supply failures, the system won't even power up at all (you mentioned that the fans started for a few seconds). I've seen BIOS corruption cause this exact problem on other machines. Go ahead and open a new support ticket, and let me know your case number here. I can take care of this for you there.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Okay. There are a couple of things you can try at this point. First, try the system while using a different circuit in your house. This rules out any sort of power fluctuations or problems that would explain our inability to replicate the issue here. You should also try reseating all of the connectors on the motherboard to ensure that there isn't any loose hardware. Reseating the RAM would also be a good idea. Loose hardware or plugs can cause problems like this by creating unexpected shorts.

If that doesn't solve it, then either the motherboard or power supply is at fault. I'm leaning toward the motherbaord, since usually with power supply failures, the system won't even power up at all (you mentioned that the fans started for a few seconds). I've seen BIOS corruption cause this exact problem on other machines. Go ahead and open a new support ticket, and let me know your case number here. I can take care of this for you there.
    I've asked him to double check the connectors. I don't think he's comfortable with attempting to reseat the RAM. My father is not technical, and I'm 1200 miles away.

He's ordered a new power supply, and I'll work with him (via the phone) to get it installed when it arrives.

I doubt he'll reopen a support ticket. He is very upset at the way this issue was handled, and has given up on technical support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I doubt he'll reopen a support ticket. He is very upset at the way this issue was handled, and has given up on technical support.
    That remind me of when I came down with a bad case of viral laryngitis.
    No symptom relievers worked for me, and after a week, I literally gave up on them-it was like I was knowingly taking placebos.
    My point is: when you give up on things, they won't get any better.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; September 28th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you should urge him to give isantop a chance. Just my 2 cents based on my own experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    I think you should urge him to give isantop a chance. Just my 2 cents based on my own experience.
    I have been trying to play the intermediary, with little success. I understand that isantop is trying to improve the situation, and that it is very difficult to diagnose and solve a problem like this with me in the way. Unfortunately, it is a technical situation, and while I am an engineer, my father is non-technical and in his 70s. He's afraid to touch anything inside the case, convinced he'll blow it up.

He had a very bad experience with tech support, spending two to three months trying to get the problem resolved, and even shipped it back to System76, only to have it returned in poor condition (power cable missing, DVD unplugged, bent pins, front panel connected incorrectly) and told that nothing was wrong.

I will probably have to pay someone to come out to his house to replace the new power supply when it arrives. If the new power supply doesn't work, about my only option is to buy a new computer, install linux, pack it up, and ship it to my father.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast