Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 nearly unusable after updating

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 nearly unusable after updating

Hi there!

I'm owning an Asus Zenbook UX23VD and installed Ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 a few weeks ago. Now that beta1 is out and I upgraded my installation, I have a lot of problems with my desktop:

• My desktop icons are missing. Files and folders that are placed in "/home/myusername/Arbeitsfläche" are not visible on the desktop. I cannot draw selections on my desktop with my mouse.
    • When I'm on an empty workspace (no open window) the windows or super-button on my keyboard doesn't open the unity stuff that it should.
    • When I have open windows, then the super button does open this unity stuff, but its drawn below the open windows.
    • The Keyboard combinations from the compiz plugins "move window" and "resize window" are imediatly reset to super+button1 and super+button2 when try to set them to alt+button1 and alt+button2 which was the default on most linux desktops I have seen as of yet. Those super+button combinations are not really a good choice, since long presing super will show a popup with the available key-combinations of unity.
    • One problem I have since the very start when I installed ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 on my notebook: I need to disable the compiz plugin "place window" in ccsm. If I do not, my windows always vanish from one workspace and materialise themselfs on some other random workspace.
    • The package nautilus-open-terminal still gives me the context-menu entry to open a terminal, but the opened terminal when clicking it does only exist for two tenths of a second and vanishes before showing a prompt.
    • chromium-browser sometimes has the default window decorations in addition to its own window decorations.

Has anybody else observed any of those described problems? are there bug-reports for them somewhere? I could not find them. Do you think that a clean beta1 installation of ubuntu 12.10 would give me less problems?
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; September 16th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 nearly unusable after updating

if its a dist-upgrade, and that partition has not got a fresh installation recently, cleaning the system might help.
    You can run gtkorphan & bleachbit (as root, but carefully) and rename (or remove) some hidden folders; .gconf, .local, .gnome2 & .config

Those will be cleanly recreated on next boot, but note that your custom settings will be reset to default indeed.

maybe a : sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a
    (be patient, it can take a while)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    Has anybody else observed any of those described problems? are there bug-reports for them somewhere? I could not find them. Do you think that a clean beta1 installation of ubuntu 12.10 would give me less problems?
    Wow, that's a surprise. The installation to beta should've been clean.

I run the daily build of quantal, and so far, I haven't experienced any of those problems. When I do see some bugs, I make sure I report them.

If you don't see any bug reports related to your problems, try reporting them yourself. Remember, you will need a launchpad account.

A clean installation is probably your best solution. Not only will you have less problems, but you're starting off fresh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there!

I'm owning an Asus Zenbook UX23VD and installed Ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 a few weeks ago. Now that beta1 is out and I upgraded my installation, I have a lot of problems with my desktop:

• My desktop icons are missing. Files and folders that are placed in "/home/myusername/Arbeitsfläche" are not visible on the desktop. I cannot draw selections on my desktop with my mouse.
    • When I'm on an empty workspace (no open window) the windows or super-button on my keyboard doesn't open the unity stuff that it should.
    • When I have open windows, then the super button does open this unity stuff, but its drawn below the open windows.
    • The Keyboard combinations from the compiz plugins "move window" and "resize window" are imediatly reset to super+button1 and super+button2 when try to set them to alt+button1 and alt+button2 which was the default on most linux desktops I have seen as of yet. Those super+button combinations are not really a good choice, since long presing super will show a popup with the available key-combinations of unity.
    • One problem I have since the very start when I installed ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 on my notebook: I need to disable the compiz plugin "place window" in ccsm. If I do not, my windows always vanish from one workspace and materialise themselfs on some other random workspace.
    • The package nautilus-open-terminal still gives me the context-menu entry to open a terminal, but the opened terminal when clicking it does only exist for two tenths of a second and vanishes before showing a prompt.
    • chromium-browser sometimes has the default window decorations in addition to its own window decorations.

Hi,

It's important to mention that some relatively new Asus models have a few problems with Linux in general (not only Ubuntu). There are issues and workarounds regarding VGA/OpenGL support, ACPI, keyboard mapping, etc. Some recent threads in General and Ubuntu Asus Support areas of UF address these problems. It's worth a search / read to see if the content of these threads matches what you are seeing there and helps somehow, before doing anything else. EDIT: Have a look here for example.

Here are my wild guesses:
    - You have properly performed a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10 from the ISO but are dealing with Asus-specific problems I mentioned above; or

- You have properly performed a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10 from the ISO but are not up-to-date to official repos or are using alternative/non-official sources/PPAs; or

- You have upgraded from 12.04 or a previous version to 12.10 and the upgrade failed or kept wrong deprecated settings.

It would be nice to know exactly how you installed/upgraded to 12.10 and if you are up-to-date to official Quantal repos, if you are using alternative sources/PPAs, etc.

I have started answering your items one-by-one, but the number of possible answers to each is too broad, from VGA support to keyboard mapping. We need to know more to proceed.

There's one thing that usually avoids a lot of tinkering and a long discussion: Do you see the same exact inconsistencies when you create a new user and login using it? Depending on your answer, a lot of possibilities can be excluded.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; September 16th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

hey! thanks for the many answers, wasn't expecting you guys to be that fast

Well I installed a fresh 12.10 alpha3 and upgraded it from time to time.

I am up-to-date now and I do use a few ppa's.. here's a list:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu precise main
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu quantal main
    --> for beeing able to use my nvidia card

http://ppa.launchpad.net/scopes-packagers/ppa/ubuntu precise main
    --> found this stuff to be quite nice

http://ppa.launchpad.net/dajhorn/sky...ecorder/ubuntu precise main

http://packages.medibuntu.org/ precise free non-free
    http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
    http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main

UPDATE:
    Okey, so I now removed most of those ppas, especially the scopes and removed the packages but that did not help.
    I created a new user and logged into a unity session with it (instead of "rename (or remove) some hidden folders; .gconf, .local, .gnome2 & .config") but that also did not change the behaviour I've described.

could you please elaborate what I should do with gtkorphan & bleachbit?
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; September 16th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Beans

I got a very good advice from user "screemo" in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12243929

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Now most of my bugs are gone, bugs left:

• Using the mouse key combination alt + mouse button 2 often crashes compiz and makes it restart.
    • I need to disable the compiz plugin "place window" in ccsm. If I do not, my windows always vanish from one workspace and materialise themselfs on some other random workspace. also random movements within a workspace do happen.

Beans

I got a very good advice from user "screemo" in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12243929

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Now most of my bugs are gone, bugs left:

• Using the mouse key combination alt + mouse button 2 often crashes compiz and makes it restart.
    • I need to disable the compiz plugin "place window" in ccsm. If I do not, my windows always vanish from one workspace and materialise themselfs on some other random workspace. also random movements within a workspace do happen.

Could you try this to fix your nautilus problem:
    Code:
    # sudo apt-get --purge remove nautilus-open-terminal
    # rm -rf ~/.nautilus
    # nautilus -q
    # sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
    Regarding the place window problems, this might be the bug you're hit with https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/974242, and appears to be on the list for Beta2 of Quantal (ie. acknowledged).

However I'm not seeing it - are you using an external monitor ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Could you try this to fix your nautilus problem:
    Code:
    # sudo apt-get --purge remove nautilus-open-terminal
    # rm -rf ~/.nautilus
    # nautilus -q
    # sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
    hmm, nope, that didn't change the problem

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Regarding the place window problems, this might be the bug you're hit with https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/974242, and appears to be on the list for Beta2 of Quantal (ie. acknowledged).

However I'm not seeing it - are you using an external monitor ?
    well yes I do also, but I've also seen the problem in the past without external monitors, and It's not only windows that are placed in between monitors.

Beans

The open-in-terminal ext. is currently broken. bug on
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1046791

However I'm pretty sure that it is the same glib bug as seen here, so when glib gets repaired the ext. should start working
    (I have it working here now with a repaired glib
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1051447

Beans

Thanks for the find mc4man!

Is there a simple way to apply this patch to my system or do I need to wait till it finds its way into the repositories?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast