Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Can't install Ubuntu 12.10

When I want to install Ubuntu 12.10 (I got this both at the beta and daily build). I get this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.10

you might need to add nomodeset as boot option

(google about "ubuntu boot option")

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you might need to add nomodeset as boot option

(google about "ubuntu boot option")
    I realize that Ubuntu Development is totally dedicated to "modeset" and has been since Intrepid. I can sort of understand it for already installed Ubuntu where there there is far more video support than install.

"Install should work" is demonstrably not a priority for Ubuntu Development. Maybe someone can explain to us why "modeset" is an essential part of Install?

I must be totally mis-informed - way back when "modeset" was touted to speed up logout-login and switching accounts maybe?? Who's doing that in Install?

Yes, I hit the modeset problem on my fast 3.3 gHz 2G pc in Quantal Alpha. I was surprised that Ubuntu Development hasn't been able to solve that yet. I waited a couple weeks and it got fixed.

? Can anyone explain to us why Ubuntu likes to take this risk?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hi Jerry,

maybe you miss a little detail: QQ is still a beta
    if you pay attention to dpkg log or simply the daily upgrade list, you have surely seen than even very deep sources are "unstable" like gcc, python, and some others synced from git/upstream. So what do you expect it can be. Wait at least the first rc to ask such questions

Beans

If you have nvidia & getting that corrupted screen nomodeset will work.
    However it's also quite likely that just removing splash from the boot options will work & provide a usable live session which nomodeset doesn't

If you can't figure out how to remove splash then ask..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I must be totally mis-informed - way back when "modeset" was touted to speed up logout-login and switching accounts maybe?? Who's doing that in Install?
    Modeset is related to video drivers and DRM kernel part of these. This feature alongside KMS allows to catch monitor native resolutions as soon as the kernel is up instead of waiting for X to startup.
    It allows a smooth boot up, without flickerings, and native resolution in VTs.

This feature unfortunately is only available with opensource drivers (radeon, nouveau and intel).

Beans
    Hidden!

To install any of the latest versions of Ubuntu on my NVIDIA-card machine, here are the steps I must follow:

1) boot up from the live CD tapping the f6 key (otherwise I get a black screen with a flashing underscore);

2) press enter to select language, then press f6 again to select "nomodeset" (otherwise there will be problems);

3) after installing and rebooting, tap shift to enter grub-settings mode. When it gets there, the first (default) entry has to be selected, and that way it boots up correctly. I guess graphics drivers get installed on that first login, as afterwards the boot-up process completes without getting stuck, without having to tap any key.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    hi Jerry, maybe you miss a little detail: QQ is still a beta
    Yes, it's a Beta, that's why we are on this forum. I've been doing Beta's since Dapper Drake. For that matter, I was working at IBM testing when the terms Alpha and Beta were first defined. Over several years I've been battered by "modeset" so that's a sore point.

Ubuntu expects users to experiment with F6 maybe Ubuntu could do some more bullet proofing on install image booting. I'm not volunteering I'm not a developer, just a user. Minority opinion, if I did do anything with install I'd ditch modeset and other features which are not necessary to get the install booted.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Ubuntu expects users to experiment with F6 maybe Ubuntu could do some more bullet proofing on install image booting. I'm not volunteering I'm not a developer, just a user. Minority opinion, if I did do anything with install I'd ditch modeset and other features which are not necessary to get the install booted.
    I do not want to sound complaining either, although I am left wondering, having experienced this, how many users are turned off by a Ubuntu that cannot install on their system -- without more-or-less-documented workarounds, that is, such as following the steps I posted above, or using the alternate installer (edit: if even the latter is a thorough solution).
    Last edited by twipley; September 16th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

I can't download Ubuntu 12.10 yet in the UK. Anyone know what time it's expected to go live?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast