Thread: Is this fixable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Is this fixable?

First off; to make things simple for you. I don't need you to explain in detail step by step what I need to do to fix it. I just want to know can it be fixed and to how hard it would be.

Ok my computer I am trying to fix is going to be for learning programming. I am knowledgeable about PIC from melabs (side note).
    Ok here is my problem; I am able to get to the Ubunto OS with a couple errors that seem minor but I am not advanced with bios and post yet. That is why I am writing.
    First; there is a message on the screen saying Serial read error with two different parts. Then it goes to the screen DMI Pool data. Lastly it loads Ubunto OS. It is slow but that is to be expected with what little ram I have on it. I am going to upgrade the Ram once I know I can fix it.
    My system is an old dell "Ultra."
    Mother board; MSI n1996
    Hard drive is about 80 Gig alone until partitioned
    I took out the V stream that was on it and the video card that it had
    That is what I know but I can tell you anything else you need to know by typing comands from how to's on google. I am putting a document with the results from Terminal. I typed in a command that brought up the serial connections.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is this fixable?

Seems unclear what there is to fix here.
    Post any errors directly here in CODE tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Is this fixable?

Ok I fixed most with research and other people having the same problem.

I think All I need to know is if these things are normal.(below) Can you explain to me what code tags are. If it is a result of a Command in terminal it would be great if you could tell me what that command is.

Here is the main one

Start up screen
    serial channel 0 : none
    serial channel 1 : none

I removed two cards from the motherboard that was compatible with Ubuntu. One a Graphics card and two a V-stream card. It use to be my fathers computer so I don't have the stuff for V-stream anyway. I also replaced the hard drive with my old one because my father did not want to risk his business info to be fallen into the wrong hands. He is a CPA. I got the Hard drive working no problem after installing ubuntu on the system.