Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newer than newbie and no YouTube video

Beans

Unhappy Re: Newer than newbie and no YouTube video

Yup. Pepper flash. On YouTube it reports "Missing Plug-in" using Chrome. It also asks for permission to which I respond "Always Run" and it ignores me

I'm now well over a day and a half just to test drive this Linux thing and I must admit this is way more trouble than I ever expected. I'm leaning towards a hardware issue here or? My experience with Mint and Mageia about the same.

Just venting a bit here and thanks for all that have contributed.
    Discouraged.
    RS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Newer than newbie and no YouTube video

Sorry you're having so many problems with this. Flash on Linux can be a pain, but usually it's not this bad.

Beans

Sometimes it's good to just stop and take a deep breath. Maybe I'll look in the retired video board box and see if I can find one Flash likes better. What flavor plays nice in the sand box with Ubuntu... anyone?

Thanks Ann
    RS

Beans

Unhappy Re: Newer than newbie and no YouTube video

Something is very fishy here. I plugged in an old Nvidia Gforce board and low and behold same deal. No flash video. In Chrome it just says missing plug-in. I can't be the only Linux Dummy around having this problem can I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The developer of flashvideoreplacer has withdrawn that plugin.

What did work:
    adobe shockwave flash plugin still works (ubu 11.10 firefox) but it is history on linux (adobe).
    flashvideoreplacer is on-hold/removed from firefox add-ons (still available in synaptic as gecko-mediaplayer).
    It used to work..

Now it seems the flashvideoreplacer does not work with flv video & stops the other plugins working.

You might want to disable all plugins except shockwave & then try youtube..
    The other plugins (vlc totem gecko) could all be the problem.

There are different video types avail from youtube; html5(webm) & flv.
    You can opt-in to the html5 trial.
    The html5 (webm) videos work well in firefox but unfortunately there are very few videos available in this format.
    (add &webm=1 to search)

Alternative for flv:
    - Don't bother.
    - keep using shockwave until it fails.
    - make google pepper api work in chrome browser
    - use terminal program "quvi" & mplayer. (this works).

This may still work..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976503
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; September 17th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Beans

You have already received a lot of good suggestions from the experts. But still, I want to add one more in this list. You can search it on google by using this keyword "To Do List After installing Ubuntu 12.04". I am not sure but may be it can help you. Good luck.
    Last edited by contributor; September 17th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Beans

1) In Firefox go to Tools > Add-Ons > Plugins. Is the "Shockwave Flash" plugin installed and not marked as disabled? Is it 11.2 r202, the current version?

2) The easiest way to install Flash is to use the partner repository. Try this:

a) Use "sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list" to edit the list of repositories. Find this line:
    Code:
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
    and remove the hash mark ("#") at the beginning of the line if it is there. Type Ctrl-X, then say Y when prompted to save the file. (If you are using an older version of Ubuntu, "precise" will be replaced with something like "oneiric" or "lucid".

b) Now run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    Any better?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Smile Re: Newer than newbie and no YouTube video

I wish to thank everyone that responded and tell you all this was overwhelming (almost). I watched my first YouTube video this morning and thanks to the help here I've had quite an education on Linux. How to run terminal, shortcuts, and like Edison found fifty or so things that didn't work at all. The terminology more than anything was Gnawing at my pea brain but I've managed and now am only half lost.
    The HTML5 that YouTube offered seems the only solution at this point but I'll continue to explore a fix that will work on other sites. I'm still without audio from streaming radio but I'll stay at it. I'm very impressed with easy of Ubuntu and if not for the flash glitches pretty painless but I'm not ready to give up XP just yet but I'm at least thinking about it.
    My compliments to the chefs and all the help.

RS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This ain't pretty but it works..

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.co.nz/201...ternative.html

Use it until you get a cleaner soln working..
    You can wrap the cmd line up in a script to make it easier re-use..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12