Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big problems with a fresh install

Beans

Angry Big problems with a fresh install

I just went ahead and did a completely new install of 12.04 last night after idiotically and automatically saying yes to one of those "partial upgrade" prompts in the software center or upgrade manager. Long story short, it ruined my system as predictable and I didn't want to go through and reinstall all the missing vital packages, so I just threw the whole broken system out.

The next morning (it decided to take a number of hours to install the new OS and I fell asleep), I re-started and attempted to load some software that I'd had before. Seconds, later, it seemed I'd been transported back to last night with a useless system. First, the universe repository was not loaded and errored out if I attempted to add it. Then, package manager started throwing up a million error and many of my system programs won't open. Here's what the terminal says when I attempt to update:

http://imageshack.us/a/img411/7154/s...m201209150.png

And here's what happens when I try to start Update Manager:

http://imageshack.us/a/img337/7154/s...m201209150.png

I'm using the 64-bit install on an HP Pavilion dm1-4010us with an AMD E2 processor.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Shie6meepo; September 15th, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Editing pictures so they aren't so annoyingly space-hogging

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Big problems with a fresh install

For future reference: Please attach screenshots or make thumbnail size rather than pasting large files in the body of the post.

Files can be attached by editing the post as per normal then click 'Go Advanced' and attach with the paperclip icon.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 15th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Beans

It appears that the US mirror was down. Add some mirrors, here's the guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaytrance View Post
    It appears that the US mirror was down. Add some mirrors, here's the guide.
    I'll try it and report back ASAP.

Beans

EDIT: Never mind on that front.
    Last edited by Shie6meepo; September 15th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

Unless I did something wrong with it, editing the mirrors didn't work. I re-started and got all the same errors.

EDIT: Is the mirror issue an issue with sources far away and therefore should it solve itself within a few days (hours), or is it something within my system?
    Last edited by Shie6meepo; September 15th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
    Unless I did something wrong with it, editing the mirrors didn't work. I re-started and got all the same errors.
    In your first screenshot you can see some lines like /var/lib/apt/lists...
    So, make this:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_i18n_Translation-en ~/Desktop/pkg.crap
    sudo apt-get update
    Correct the path in the first line if I am misspelled something there. There seems to be some problems in fetched packages, that may be not fully downloaded.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaytrance View Post
    In your first screenshot you can see some lines like /var/lib/apt/lists...
    So, make this:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_i18n_Translation-en ~/Desktop/pkg.crap
    sudo apt-get update
    Correct the path in the first line if I am misspelled something there. There seems to be some problems in fetched packages, that may be not fully downloaded.
    It tells me the location doesn't exist. I triple-checked the spelling.

Beans

It tells me the location doesn't exist. I triple-checked the spelling.
    ok, lets try it another way - while typing the path, press the first letter (or 2) and press TAB - this should autocomplete the path. Well you know how does TAB works
    So, in your first screen I can see there are 3 lines that have paths that starts with "/var/...". try to "mv" them all, one by one.

Beans

I've tried pointing it that way to files that most definitely exist, and it keeps handing back the same error message. Also, is the "FAILED" at the end of the last package listed here telling of the issue at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast