Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless connect w/12.04 on AspireOne D-250

Beans

Wireless connect w/12.04 on AspireOne D-250

Hi, I know just enough to SNAFU things. I upgraded from 11,04 to 12.04. I have wired connection. Without I do not. This issue was happening on 11.04 also. I keep getting a dialog box asking for my security password. It accepts it (or seems to) then if i open a browser window I receive "can't find server" and security dialog box for my connection comes back up.

I've nosed around here as much as i can and found that:
    "sudo Ishw -C network" did nothing for me, "command not found", not that I actually knew what I was typing.

Then I tried "lspci". I've pasted the result below. I'm hoping this is helpful. Any help is appreciated. Thank you 8lackie
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)

Beans

Re: Wireless connect w/12.04 on AspireOne D-250

Hi! Anyone know what I'm talking about or can help? I'd appreciate it. I put as much information as I have. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have 5 Acer Aspite One laptop in different sites, all with Ubuntu 12.04 and have seen a similar issue when the wireless connection has problems and sometimes repeatedly asks for the password.

After researching and trying a few things, I found that:
    1. The Aspire One wireless reception is not as good as a full size laptop. As a result it is much more sensitive to bad reception issues.

2. It has an issue with a combined cipher of AES & Tkip or just AES. It works well when I use Tkip only (this is a setting in the wireless router, under the wireless settings).

3. If you have a wireless range extender, sometimes those lose connection while the Aspire One connection is to the extender. That will kill your laptop's connection (you can avoid that by setting up on the laptop's network settings the BSSID to be that of the router you want to connect to always).

So to test these assumptions, I suggest the following:

1. Change in the wireless the cipher to be only Tkip.

2. Remove the wireless password on the router and confirm that the Aspire One can connect to the WiFi. Make sure the laptop is close enough to the router so you can rule out reception issues

3. Add the password back on the wireless router without moving the laptop away, and see if it connects now.

if no good connection is made, you may have a different problem. Try to upgrade the router's firmware to the latest.

If good connection is made, just continue to make sure you have good reception always.

Hope that helps!

Beans

Thanks for your help OM55. I'm bivouacked in the Balkans at the moment. My internet is a cablebox/wireless router in-one. I cant seem to get into it via 192.168...etc so for the time being I can't see what the setting are or mess with them.

No wireless range extender.

I've been sitting next to the router the whole time. I did have Ubuntu 10.04 on here once upon a time and it worked fine. Of course the question is "what changed?" I don't know.

I found the 802.11 Linux STA driver. but don't know if this is already part of 12.04 nor do I understand how to install it, or if would be any benefit.

I also tried "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer" This seemed to be already installed.

At least I have a good wired connection. I am stuck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless

Please avoid overusing coloured text. If you want to make code stand out and easier to read, please use [code] tags by typing them in or clicking 'Edit' then 'Go Advanced', mark out the code and click the # icon. Cheers.

Tried any of these?

http://au.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...avista&fr2=sfp

Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 16th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Beans

If you can find an ethernet connection you might try looking at the following thread--post 10.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...11b%2Fg+LP-PHY

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, plugging in an ethernet cable, getting online and getting updates is generally the first thing to do. Then check 'Additional Drivers'. I have noticed the LP-PHY cards are problematic, though. Most older Broadcom work out-of-the-box nowadays and so probably just a matter of time til this one does, too.

Just to clarify; this is a straight Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop install? Not another flavour or derivative?

Beans

Just to clarify; this is a straight Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop install? Not another flavour or derivative?[/QUOTE]

It is, although I upgraded it from 11.04, which I believe was a clean install originally.

Beans

Ive tried several solutions posted by chili555. So far nothing has worked

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...11b%2Fg+LP-PHY

#10 also #2

This whole time i've had a fine wired connection. but as soon as I go wireless I'm asked to to authenticate my password. Sheer madness I tell you!

Beans

Now I've managed to install Broadcom STA wireless driver...not sure how I did it, but I don't think I'm getting any closer to a wireless connection. Ive scoured this forum picking up on a lot of the suggestions for forcing a connection but to no avail
    when I do a lspci -nn | grep 0280
    I see I have BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY 14e4:4315[rev 01]

Also tried update of bcmwl-kernel-source. My machine says I have the newest version.

I think I need more help, I'm getting lost and confused.
    Last edited by 8lackie; September 27th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast