Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu hangs on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu hangs on boot

I did both of the commands. grep turned up no messages about fsck, and a combing over of dmesg | less didn't reveal anything to me, although admittedly I don't know enough about what most of that output means to be able to catch much.

I'm checking the SMART data now... will edit this post with results later.

Beans
    Distro

I ran all of the SMART checks, and they all came up green on my primary HD.
    I have a secondary HD which is NTFS and I use for a Windows install. It's an older drive and came up with a few warnings on the SMART check, but I don't boot from that drive or even auto-mount it at start up, so I don't know if that would be causing this hang...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wouldn't think so. You could always try disconnecting that drive and boot to see what happens. You could also run dmesg > dmesg.txt from your home directory and then post that file to pastebin and put a link here so people can review it for errors.

Beans
    Distro

Sure, I'll attach my dmesg to pastebin. Here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/s9GzriLq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see any significant errors. I have a few questions though?
    Has your iPhone been connected every time you boot with the 15-20 residual boot delay? Are you intending to tether the 3g connection to the computer, if not, you might turn that off to see a quicker boot time. What's your setup regarding the wireless internet connection? It seems that there are two nics, the first is an Atheros based nic and the second is a Broadcom 43xx series. The Atheros on wlan0 tries to connect first. It authenticates but doesn't associate. Then the second one authenticates and associates. Are you trying some fancy setup?

Beans
    Distro

Nothing fancy, just an ordinary setup.

The iPhone isn't always plugged in, and no tethering. The reason it's plugged in here is because it's a good notification of whether my PC is frozen or still booting -- if the iPhone beeps because its receiving power from the USB, then I know that the PC is continuing to boot and I can wait. If the iPhone never beeps, then I know my PC is frozen and I have to hit the power button once or twice to get it to continue booting.

As for the modems, one is a PCI card internal modem and the other is a wireless USB. I had some trouble with various cards (the Broadcom doesn't work out of the box on Ubuntu, so I bought the Buffalo; but the Buffalo doesn't work in Windows so I haven't removed the Broadcom from the computer). I generally connect with the Buffalo USB, but sometimes for some odd reason it just stops working in Ubuntu, so when that happens I connect with the Broadcom.

The freezing problem has been happening for well over a year now, but I have only had the second modem for a couple months, and I rarely boot with the iPhone plugged in unless I happen to be rebooting mid-day. I would be surprised if either of those are the cause of the freezing.

I think during my last boot, I waited about 20-30 seconds before pressing the power button (as the iPhone didn't beep). If it would be helpful, I'll unplug the iPhone and USB modem and reboot again, and I won't hit the power button unless it freezes for over an hour. Do you think that might give some more insight?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I do not have better idea: run a memory test from grub menu to exclude a memory failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As a general rule of thumb, if I'm experiencing an issue that needs troubleshooting I try to removal all outside possiblities. If it were me, I would disconnect all external devices and use a ps/2 keyboard and mouse during troubleshooting if you have the ports and an old keyboard and mouse. In this case, I would also go so far as to remove the wireless nic from the equation. In one of the other threads the guy was having USB problems and it turns out there is an issue with AMD SB600 and early versions of the SB700 chipset regarding USB freezes. This may be your issue and have little to do with video subsystem.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, an update:
    I took out both modems and rebooted, and the system booted properly. Rebooted and it booted quickly and without problems.

I added the USB modem, and it went back to the old way -- freezing until I pressed the power button twice.

I took it out and added the PCI modem. It also froze as before.

I moved the PCI modem to a different slot. This time, instead of freezing, there was about an 8 second delay during plymouth, then the machine booted normally. However, for some reason, the modem could not find any networks when in this slot. It appeared to be detected by the system properly, just no networks showed up.

Does that makes sense to anyone? What are my options here? Is there a fix to this or am I going to be stuck with no wireless? I can't imagine that pumping the power button every single boot could be good for the machine.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quickly pressing the power button doesn't hurt the machine. The power switch is a software switch that triggers an interrupt, which is probably why it resumes from whatever hangups during boot. The only way you'd be putting stress on the board is if the you pressed the power switch long enough to force a power down and then turned it right back on. As far as why it boots normally now; that might just be that the card isn't connecting to the network allowing for a quicker boot time, or the board is actually operating better in that slot. The only way to know for sure would be to do a clean install and get it back on the network to see if it still boot normally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast