Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claim of Insulted Mods and Infractions incident

Beans

Claim of Insulted Mods and Infractions incident

Ok so the Mods are making this into a big deal so I'm going to give the full story.

A month or so ago I replied to a thread asking for basic info on Networking. I googled some info and posted a link to a PDF. A mod edited my post and removed it and accused me of posting copyright info etc. Ok fine, but was it??? Did the website have permission to host it??? Nobody bothered to check before I was PUBLICLY accused of copyright infringement which is a CRIME. I found it with Google, it wasn't my site, I have no affiliation or knowledge of the site. I simply linked it so others could learn.

I sent an IM reply to the Mod after he sent an explanation, basically saying I don't appreciate being publicly accused of a CRIME. And that nobody bothered to check to verify, it was all assumptions. The mod sent a reply back saying he thought as much and didn't demerit me. Since it was a public post, I also posted a similar reply in the thread. Ok fine, I have no issues with the original mod that edited my post. Then I got an IM below.

From CharlesA
    Hello,

I have jailed your rant post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2040839

I checked the original site and there is no links pointing to that PDF book outside of the link listed on Google.

Please watch for attitude. If you disagree with a staff member's action, feel free to post in the Resolution Center: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Thanks,
    Charles

Clearly accusing me of having an attitude. I sent a reply saying I take offense to being PUBLICLY accused of a CRIME. My message was this:
    "If you would like the exact link, I may be able to look it up still. I found the link through a google search exactly as stated. It's possible the site got reported for it also. But I simply linked a publicly searchable and accessible link.

As for attitude, I take offense to being publicly accused of a crime, BY ANYBODY!!! And will not sit idle while I'm accused and defamed publicly. I don't have an issue to resolve. I addressed situation with the individual. This was not a minor "he said something mean" we are talking a criminal offense."

I also sent a reminder to the original Mod that said
    “I think I understand your intent, and that it was not malicious. But regardless I was publicly accused of a criminal act. That to me is a serious issue. With all the Alphabet agencies and web crawlers etc...I don't need any harassment because of some website post.

Remember that your words may present you for a libel or slander lawsuit. So I suggest you use caution when publicly stating or suggesting someone did something criminal in nature. “

Then I get this message:

From cariboo907
    RE: your message to a Moderator

Please be aware that is an international forum, and any laws that apply where you reside, may not apply elsewhere.

I'd suggest instead of threatening the staff, and possibly loosing your ability to post on the Forum, that you check with the copyright holder of the pdf, and see it they are OK with the general distribution of their intellectual property without remuneration.

Regards

cariboo907

Forum Admin

I replied “I never threatened anyone!!! “
    I also received this IM for “Insulting staff”

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums

From lisati
    Dear megamister,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Insulted staff
    -------
    From the forum Code of Conduct:
    Quote:
    Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback & Help and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective.
    Quote:
    This is a moderated forum, but only in the sense that we act to deal with content that violates the forum code of conduct when we become aware of it.
    Your account here at ubuntuforums is now on moderation. What this means is that your contributions will need to be reviewed by a member of the forum staff before they are visible to the community.

We haven't forgotten about your reaction to concerns being expressed about a link you posted over four weeks ago.

If you take issue with the actions of one of the forum staff, the "proper" way of dealing with it is by politely stating your case in the resolution center.
    -------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

So I replied: “What staff did I Insult??? Really infractions for Insulting? Is this Elementary school?”

So it appears there are children running around getting insulted easily and harassing and Infractioning a contributing member that has been aboard before all but one of em by a couple months. All this started because I was PUBLICLY accused of a CRIME and defended myself. Maybe your all safe in your own country, but some have been hunted down, targeted and people have gone to jail over these crimes. So to Publicly accuse someone with Zero amount of evidence, that is flat out Insulting and Offensive. Where is the common sense here and who should be offended and insulted???

Beans

Re: Claim of Insulted Mods and Infractions incident

This is the newest IM I received

Qouted from your last PM

Quote:
    Sent by: megamister
    Original Content:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesA
    Hello,

I have jailed your rant post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2040839

I checked the original site and there is no links pointing to that PDF book outside of the link listed on Google.

Please watch for attitude. If you disagree with a staff member's action, feel free to post in the Resolution Center: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Thanks,
    Charles

Quote:
    If you would like the exact link, I may be able to look it up still. I found the link through a google search exactly as stated. It's possible the site got reported for it also. But I simply linked a publicly searchable and accessible link.

As for attitude, I take offense to being publicly accused of a crime, BY ANYBODY!!! And will not sit idle while I'm accused and defamed publicly. I don't have an issue to resolve. I addressed situation with the individual. This was not a minor "he said something mean" we are talking a criminal offense.
    It looks to me like you are threatening CharlesA with criminal action

Regards

My Reply:
    Your clearly misunderstanding my message. I'm not threatening anyone!!! I never threatened anyone!!! The reference of a "criminal offense" refers to the original issue. Which is the Copyright Infringement which is criminal. That's why I will defend myself against such accusations that are baseless. There was NO evidence of anything, but the criminal offense accusations were made publicly. This is not a little I'm insulted...type of issue. It arose from accusations of a criminal offense.

Beans
    Hidden!

Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This can be cleared up really quickly, as I said in my pm, contact the copyright holder and ask if they are OK with anyone freely downloading the material from a random web site.

The reason this has gone as far as it has, is because our Forum Code of Conduct, does not allow any illegal activities of any sort, if the copyright holder allows this type of activity, then we don't have a problem with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is just an update, I contacted the author of the book, and hopefully in a day or two we should be able to clear up this issue.

Beans

That still doesn't change the fact that I'm being Infracted for defending myself of criminal accusations. I linked publicly available info.

Then on top of it I never "insulted" anyone nor made threats which as stated was the basis of the "Infraction".

You guys are being as clear as mud in your reasoning and "infraction"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just because the pdf in question was available from some random web site doesn't make it legal. Look at all the torrent sites that that have been shutdown for offering links to copyrighted material.

The forum clearly states that we don't allow links to copyright material without the permission of the publisher.

Users agree not to post anything abusive, rude, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, advertising or marketing related, or sexually-oriented. Material that suggests illegal activity or contains illegal content is also forbidden. We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalised with infractions and warnings. Also, our forums are used by people at work and school and we want to ensure they will not encounter material that will cause them problems or cause their access to our site to be limited, so all content should be safe for work and school.

Beans

Quote:
    Originally Posted by megamister
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cariboo907
    See my post here, if you can show us proof, an email for instance, I'll clear the infractions from your account and apologize.

Regards
    Proof of what???

That the copy right holders of the document you linked to is free for download from any random web site.

So what does that solve at this point, I wasn't "infracted" for posting copyrighted info? I never claimed I had any permissions to host or distribute.

If you guys are so unclear on your basis and reasoning of infractions then why are you doing it???

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    See my post here, if you can show us proof, an email for instance, I'll clear the infractions from your account and apologize.

Regards
    Proof of what???
    That the copy right holders of the document you linked to is free for download from any random web site.

So what does that solve at this point, I wasn't "infracted" for posting copyrighted info? I never claimed I had any permissions to host or distribute.
    I offered to remove any infractions, if you showed proof.

Isn't what this whole thing is about? You claiming one of the mods called your link illegal, and you objected to it?

Beans

My objection is that I committed a criminal offense, of which there is no evidence or substantiation. It was all based on an assumption. Then I was infracted because you or someone misinterpreted my statement that was a suggestion to CharlesA.

My Reply to caribou907
    Umm ok look at the issue from my perspective? You guys are confused and don't even know what the hell is going on and I'm getting infracted!!!

NO!!! I was told I got infracted because I "threatened legal action against Charles
    “Reason: Insulted staff “
    “It looks to me like you are threatening CharlesA with criminal action

Regards “

My objection is that I committed a criminal offense, of which there is no evidence or substantiation. It was all based on an assumption. Then I was infracted because you or someone misinterpreted my statement that was a suggestion to CharlesA.

I don't care if the post was edited and the link was deleted, that's not my issue. My issue is statements saying "copyright infringement" which is a legal conclusion and accusatory statement, when there is no evidence and nobody here is qualified to make that legal determination. With the copyright suits crossing country lines recently. I TAKE OFFENSE TO BEING ACCUSED OF A CRIME. And I will defend myself against it.

But again, that's not why I was infracted.

Beans

Re: RC thread
    Quote:
    I'd like to look at it from your side, but you don't seem to be able to explain yourself very well your last comment, really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe we should start again, without all the quotes.

I didn't infract you, and I'm willing to completely remove it, just so we can get this issue resolved.

Yes please do remove it. It was silly and childish to begin with. Also please remove from the original post "Copyright Infringement".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast