Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update manager wants to install BIND program??

Beans

update manager wants to install BIND program??

Anyone know what the program BIND is and what it does? I am on a personal laptop. It says it's an important update but it's for servers? I don't want to open a "back door". Please and help?

Thanks ahead!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: update manager wants to install BIND program??

If you have bind installed, let Update Manager update it (it might be installed by default, I don't know). If it's not installed it won't be updated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The bind program is used for DNS resolution and is a de facto standard in Linux/UNIX systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIND

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    If you have bind installed, let Update Manager update it (it might be installed by default, I don't know). If it's not installed it won't be updated.
    Ok, I updated. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    The bind program is used for DNS resolution and is a de facto standard in Linux/UNIX systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIND
    Do I need this for my Internet connection? I don't personally know much about servers and have never used one...that I know of. My Internet connection is weird and I don't understand it at all. I've been looking too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

theoretically, you don't need it. however, I don't know how to remove it, or what removing it will do. expecially since it's included by default in ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran Desert Rat View Post
    Do I need this for my Internet connection? I don't personally know much about servers and have never used one...that I know of. My Internet connection is weird and I don't understand it at all. I've been looking too.
    What exactly does "weird" mean?

On 12.04, bind9-host and libbind9-80 appear to be installed by default (on the desktop version, not server). I'd be very careful about removing them. They don't take up much disk space, 175 kB and 102 kB respectively.

Edit: Also, if you remove a package that affects networking, a simple sudo apt-get install bind9-host might not work to fix the problem. Installing packages on an offline computer certainly is possible, but is not the easiest thing to do for a person new to Linux.
    Last edited by oldos2er; September 16th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added info

Beans

I think my Internet is running on it. I don't have wireless and when I shut networking off I don't get Internet at all. So I updated and am keeping it.

Weird is normal because if your normal then your weird because in the end, no one is normal. ...and yes, I spelled it badly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran Desert Rat View Post
    I don't have wireless and when I shut networking off I don't get Internet at all.
    I don't have wireless either (wired desktop). How exactly do you shut off networking? What you've said in the quote sounds like it's working as designed.

Beans

I have a "Wired Network Connection" symbol on the right end of my taskbar I can click into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast