Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nomodeset was only the beginning!

Beans

Nomodeset was only the beginning!

Hey all I am having weird problems and so would like to see if anyone can help... I own a Gateway DX4850... A stupid purchase for sure but being one of the first towers I have ever bought I have learned a lot from it Sadly it has an Nvidia graphics card and so I believe originally I had tons of problems loading it up but once I added the nomodeset option it booted properly and everything is great, UNTIL I am ready to make my Ubuntu partition and instead of seeing 488 GB windows (NTFS) partition (my windoes 7) and my 443GB of unallocated space it just sees the whole TB drive... I don't want to get rid of windows but I am at a loss at how Ubuntu can't see anything... Is that because of nomodeset or what? I am so confused I have never had a problem installing all distros on any of my PC's but this one. If anyone has a clue let me know thanks! Also I am using the latest version of Ubuntu Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Nomodeset was only the beginning!

BrianBlaze ; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

Lets back up a bit and get a better foundation from which to work(confused me)

So to recap in my terms, You have a desktop that presently has windows installed, and you desire to dual boot with ubuntu ?

If the above is correct (not installed ubuntu) ..you must first set aside space on the disk for ubuntu. This should only be done from the windows disk utility (prevents corrupting window's files, using window's tools).

In your partitioning scheme bear in mind can only have a max of 4 partitions per disk.

To see what the present partitioning is from terminal within the ubuntu live cd run:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    We will deal with making the "nomodeset" parameter permanent when you are installed.

I hope this helps, as you require additional assistance, please ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In your partitioning scheme bear in mind can only have a max of 4 partitions per disk.
    This is certainly not true. While you can have only 4 primary partitions with the traditional MBR partitioning table, you can have additional extended partitions. Not to talk about GPT partitioning, where you can have 128 partitions.

Beans

Well I guess i didn't word it well so here it goes. I have windows installed on a ~440GB Partition and I have about the same ~440GB of unallocated space! If I do fdisk -l from ubuntu I only see /dev/sda with a full TB... I see no partitions or anything. When I tried to install Ubuntu it obviously says the same thing, It can't see the NTFS partition and just wants me to use the full TB drive for the install. I am using a custom install (meaning I am not doing some automatic one). I decided to try Fedora after having this problem and it worked... Fedora could detect my partitions including the unallocated space (which I saved for linux). I have never seen this problem before but I appreciate you guys giving input.I really feel like it is the fault of my tower... Gateway DX4850. Anywho thanks guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBlaze View Post
    Hey all I am having weird problems and so would like to see if anyone can help... I own a Gateway DX4850... A stupid purchase for sure but being one of the first towers I have ever bought I have learned a lot from it Sadly it has an Nvidia graphics card and so I believe originally I had tons of problems loading it up but once I added the nomodeset option it booted properly and everything is great, UNTIL I am ready to make my Ubuntu partition and instead of seeing 488 GB windows (NTFS) partition (my windoes 7) and my 443GB of unallocated space it just sees the whole TB drive... I don't want to get rid of windows but I am at a loss at how Ubuntu can't see anything... Is that because of nomodeset or what? I am so confused I have never had a problem installing all distros on any of my PC's but this one. If anyone has a clue let me know thanks! Also I am using the latest version of Ubuntu Desktop
    Nomodset has nothing to do with your partitions. As posted you need to do everything from within windows should you decide to resize your windows partition to make room for Ubuntu before using the Ubuntu installer. A screenshot would help and be sure to backup anything important before doing anything.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Nomodset has nothing to do with your partitions. As posted you need to do everything from within windows should you decide to resize your windows partition to make room for Ubuntu before using the Ubuntu installer. A screenshot would help and be sure to backup anything important before doing anything.
    My goodness I will say it again... I have 440 GB partition and 440GB unallocated... I did that from windows... I get that it is not a nomodeset problem but I was just curious if anyone knows what the problem could be... Why would I need to resize my windows partition if I have 440GB of unalocated space?? And like I mentioned Fedora saw all the partitions properly and let me install it on the unallocated space lol The screenshot I would show you would just be Ubuntu's install wizard at the custom part where I choose my partitions and all it sees is /dev/sda with 1TB of free space... Please don't write that I need to fix my partitions from windows again... I clearly have my partitions mapped but ubuntu couldn't see them...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With your 1-TB drive, it's probable that your system uses UEFI rather than the older MBR-based boot process. If that's the case, fdisk -l does not work properly, nor do most of the common utilities dealing with boot time.

You can install Boot-Repair and run it to obtain a detailed report, without making any changes to your system. Here's a link to it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

I had to do this to get a proper installation in a situation similar to yours. I don't know whether it applies in your case or not but it's worth taking a look. I think the package will run properly under Fedora, and in any case its author Yann is quite active on the forums here and eager to help...

EDIT: I had to install Boot-Repair initially in the Live CD since I was unable to get the HDD copy of Xubuntu working, and that worked perfectly. Thus there's no need to try to run it under Fedora at all. Just boot to the Live CD, then download and install Boot-Repair there and run it to create the bootinfo report automatically. The program will use pastebin to put your report onto the cloud so that you can share it here, and will give you the address so that you can view it. Save that address to a flash drive so that you can refer to it later, or post it in this thread...
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; September 14th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: afterthought and additional explanation.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@BrianBlaze: Please use punctuation (e.g. paragraphs) for clarity. Big blobs of text can be virtually unreadable and some won't bother trying.

PS: You may have scripting turned off. That seemed to be another user's problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    @BrianBlaze: Please use punctuation (e.g. paragraphs) for clarity. Big blobs of text can be virtually unreadable and some won't bother trying.

PS: You may have scripting turned off. That seemed to be another user's problem.
    I thought I was writing in paragraphs since each post is only a paragraph long

lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, they're one paragraph, but this:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBlaze View Post
    ... is not easy to read and many won't bother. You will increase clarity and your chances of getting help by breaking it up a bit.

Incidentally, don't think your problem has anything to do with nomodset. That is about graphics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast