Thread: Transfer files to tablet brok sd card

Beans

Transfer files to tablet brok sd card

I have ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop.
    I plugged in my tablet (pandigital) to the usb to put music files on it, onto the memory card (32 gb pny microsd)
    The files (50 files) began copying fine, but after about 50% it got slower and slower and slower, then finely stopped and ubuntu gave an error that the microsd card could not be found.
    after a few seconds, it opened up like I had just plugged it in, only now i cant copy files to it because it says it is "read only".
    I did a 'safely remove', and restarted my tablet, but now it says the card is not mounted or has no files.
    I put the card into the card reader on my desktop, and ubuntu finds it, with all the files, but wont let me copy any files to it because it is 'read only'.
    I put the card in my windows laptop, and it also says it is read only.

fsck dosfsck, chown, and remounting the drive all fail because "read-only file system."

Windows chkdsk finds nothing wrong, but cannot do a "automatically fix file system errors" because it is a "read only file system".

I see a lot of mentions online that complain about ubuntu making read-only file systems on memory cards, and i see a lot of mentions about file transfers in ubuntu getting slower and slower.

is this something that can be fixed or do i need to loose all my data and start all over, and why does ubuntu have a big problem causing this?

Beans

Re: Transfer files to tablet brok sd card

ok I took a 16gb pny card that was in my music player and i put it in the tablet and formated it with android. it was a good memory card and it was used for allmost a year with no troubles. if this works then it was a bad 32gb pny card.
    i copied lots of files from the tablet's internal memory onto the sd card and it copied them just fine.
    so then i copied 1 or 2 pictures from my ubuntu desktop computer and it copied them just fine using nautilus and drag and drop method.
    then i copied a few songs about 2 or 3 and they copied fine.
    then i tried to copy 10 songs at once and it copied the first ones ok then it got slower and slower and finely after about 5 minutes it said there was an error copying because it couldnt find the memory stick anymore.
    so then i turned off the tablet and put in the memory stick to the card reader and yep it is read only now.
    my windows laptop also said it is read only
    so i erased it formatted it in windows on my laptop and then i copied files from windows to it almost 4 gb and no problem and very fast.
    so i put it into the tablet and it can see all the files and i copy them from the card to the internal memory with no problem.
    then i put the card in my ubuntu 12.04 desktop and after copyed 6 songs, about 56 mb, it slowed down and finely said it cant find the device then it was read only again.
    i started my desktop with the live dvd and tried it from there and yep. same thing, still made it read only.
    so now i took my 32gb card and reformated it and in windows it works just fine and in the tablet it works just fine but i want to know: how can i copy files from ubuntu to the card without making read only?

Beans

ok so I had an idea to download a brand new live disk of ubuntu 12.04 and boot my laptop to ubuntu.
    and just to make sure, i bought a new memory card (8gb).
    and so I used windows chkdsk to make sure the card was good, and no errors found.
    and then i used windows to copy "my documents" (about 200 files) and it only took a minute to copy with no problem.
    then i erased them and ran chkdsk again, and no problem.
    so the card is good right?
    then I booted my laptop to the ubuntu live disk and tried to copy the same files from windows documents to the card and it copied and copied and copied and got slower and slower and finely it gave an error that it couldnt find the card anymore.
    then i rebooted my laptop to windows (xp) and ran a chkdsk and ut oh its read only.
    and i put it in my tablet and it cant mount it.

in conclusion: the only thing that makes my cards read only is ubuntu and on 2 different machines all together. so anyway with so many people online talking about how slow it is to copy files in ubuntu and lot's of people saying they got a read only file system from ubuntu then what is the way to fix it?

Beans

If no body know`s how to fix this then maybe I should file a bug report, but I don't know how too do that, could somebody please help me?

Beans

I have been having a similar problem after I tried to transfer files to my Samsung tablet three weeks ago. I got rid of my tablet after frustrations with that issue only to find out that now all external media(SD and Flash drives) tell me that they are read only when in Ubuntu.
    In windows these work just fine. I can move files from the SD or flash to my computer, but but I can not delete or put files on any of these drives always getting a read only error message.
    Previous to today, when I would try to move files to the external media I was getting a error saying that there was no such file on my external media which is ridiculous because I was trying to move the file from my computer to my SD in the first place.
    After this I decided to experiment by reformatting my SD card since the filesystem check came back as not clean. I got this error
    " Error creating filesystem
    An error occurred while performing an operation on "510 MB filesystem" (Partition 1 of Generic Multi Card): the operation failed
    Details: Error creating file system: helper exited with exit code 1: cannot open /dev/sdb1: Read only file system
    From this point on when I try to move files to my sd I get "Error while copying to"ED****" the destination is read only.

And then I also have this problem which started in the last week where the my computer will connect to any wifi network and cable internet but it wont actually let me on the internetAll in all Im going crazy

Beans

OK so I filed a bug report on launchpad witch I think is the right place to file bugs because google says that's where all the ubuntu 12.04 bugs go. Anyway, I asked and asked if I did it right, because I don't really know what all to attach, and no body here ever helped me at all except Kulix who is having exactly the same problem (like ALOT of people
    But i never heard any thing there either.
    So now i have been useing Ubuntu 12.10 Quantum Quetzle and here's what happened with that.
    first off, they made it so I can't make videos full screen any more, but only on the internet. Why would some body write a program to do that? I don't know. It's stupid.
    then, they made it so I can't run "system log" either. It use to be a program that would show a record of all the things Ubuntu 12.04 was doing when you started it or when it was running. It was really nice but I guess they got rid of it or something.
    But here's the really stupid part. I bought a new media player at best buy for 20$ because I didn't want to take chances with my good one. Good thing too, because even in Ubuntu 12.10 it is still making a read only file system when I copy lot's of files and not just songs either.
    So they didn't fix it even though they knew about it because I filed a bug report about it in plenty of time to have it so it stopped making music players read only. And since this player was only a player with no SD memory it ended up making the whole thing useless so I took it back to best buy and told them what happened and they didn't want to give me back my money because they said I should only use windows which they tried to sell me because they said Ubuntu isn't really a good operating system with so many people having problems with not just media players but alot of other things too.
    So now I can't use ubuntu 12.10 to copy music to a player without breaking it and alot of other people can't too, and with all the other things that they made worse with 12.10 it just seems like they don't care if people have problems or not so I don't guess I understand what ubuntu is thinking anymore.
    And since other people have the same problems then is there any way for somebody else to fix it? I heard that it is possible for any one to fix bugs in ubuntu and maybe there is a way to hire a professional programmer to figure it out? I mean as much money as I have spent in memory cards and I'm sure other people too then maybe we could pay to have someone else look at it and figure out how to get rid of the part that makes it change things to read only because that really seems like it doesn't do any good for any reason at all.
    Last edited by rpdayton; November 18th, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I said that I filed a bug report on ubuntu 10.04, but it was actually ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

This is not a general problem with 12.04. I boot both 64-bit Lubuntu and Ubuntu 12.04 (with common /home partition) from 32 GB SDHC card on a tablet PC with internally USB connected card slot (Acer W500P). I never had any trouble originally writing the operating system to the SD card or from files I wrote to that or another 16 GB SD card for 11.10 from the USB card reader my 12.04 desktop (including entire minecraft client and server directories) to both cards.

So there must be something specific about the USB hardware or connection method that results in the slowdown and eventual read-only. For example is the card reader directly connected to USB, short cable like 6" (15 cm) or less, or a long cable (how long)? And if [micro]SDHC what class card? A higher class like Class 10 may require more power than Class 4, although, any USB port (other than possibly on laptop or smaller) should provide 500 mA @ 5 VDC. Maybe that drops off on a battery powered computer device during extended use.

Maybe someone could find common ground on the issue from the output of lspci and lsusb or it might require digging deeper into the output of sudo lspci -v, sudo lsusb -v, and sudo lshw.

Just letting you know that it is not a general problem that most of us have not experienced. The only time I had microSD end up as read-only was when a tight slot on a card reader kept tripping the loose Lock switch on microSD to SD adapter.
    Last edited by efflandt; November 18th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

ok. so I don't have time to search for all the posts about read only file systems but it was not just me, there are a lot of other people who have the same thing and also with it getting slower and slower.
    before, i tried useing the cp command because there were some posts that said that will make copying quicker, and that post was a couple years old! but even with the cp command i will still get a read only file system.
    I have 2 card readers on my desktop, one is with a maybe 2' feet cable, and the other is built in straight to the motherboard.
    The laptop i don't know, it is built into the side, but it works fine with windows, it only makes read only when i boot to a ubuntu disk so.....
    I don't know what classes all of my microsd cards are, is there some way to check? and I don't know what class the media player was either. it was a gpx brand but didnt have a memory slot or anything, if that helps.
    and I don't know how to find out ma's or any of those things?
    and now i can do a lspci and lsusb and lshw after work tonight, do you think that will help?
    should i do it right after it makes it read only?

Beans

ok.

lspci
    00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 1.1 Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 2.0 Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
    00:07.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:08.1 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 440] (rev a1)
    02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

sudo lspci -v
    00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 3407
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: [44] HyperTransport: Slave or Primary Interface
    Capabilities: [dc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed-

00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    I/O ports at 4f00 [size=256]

00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at 4900 [size=64]
    I/O ports at 4d00 [size=64]
    I/O ports at 4e00 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: nForce2_smbus
    Kernel modules: i2c-nforce2

00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 1.1 Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    Memory at deeff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd

00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 2.0 Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at deefec00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: [44] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=0098
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:04.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
    Capabilities: [b8] Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device cb84
    Capabilities: [8c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed-

00:05.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 821f
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at deef8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
    Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

00:06.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    [virtual] Memory at 000001f0 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
    [virtual] Memory at 000003f0 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
    [virtual] Memory at 00000170 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
    [virtual] Memory at 00000370 (type 3, non-prefetchable) [size=1]
    I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
    Kernel driver in use: pata_amd
    Kernel modules: pata_amd

00:07.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
    Memory at deefd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at d080 [size=8]
    Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/8 Maskable+ 64bit+
    Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
    Kernel modules: forcedeth

00:08.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 5405
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
    I/O ports at d000 [size=8]
    I/O ports at cc00 [size=4]
    I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
    I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
    I/O ports at c480 [size=16]
    Memory at deefc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [b0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/4 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
    Kernel modules: sata_nv

00:08.1 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 5405
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    I/O ports at c400 [size=8]
    I/O ports at c080 [size=4]
    I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
    I/O ports at bc00 [size=4]
    I/O ports at b880 [size=16]
    Memory at deef7000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [b0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/4 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
    Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
    Kernel modules: sata_nv

00:09.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
    Memory behind bridge: def00000-dfffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000ddffffff
    Capabilities: [40] Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp Device 3407
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/2 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [60] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed-
    Capabilities: [80] Express Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp

00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0

00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    Flags: fast devsel
    Capabilities: [80] HyperTransport: Host or Secondary Interface

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
    Kernel modules: amd64_edac_mod

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
    Capabilities: [f0] Secure device <?>
    Kernel driver in use: k10temp
    Kernel modules: k10temp

00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 440] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 1441
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at dc000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at def80000 [disabled] [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
    Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb

02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 1441
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at def7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

sudo lsusb -v
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x058f Alcor Micro Corp.
    idProduct 0x6366 Multi Flash Reader
    bcdDevice 1.00
    iManufacturer 1 Generic
    iProduct 2 Mass Storage Device
    iSerial 3 058F63666471
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 32
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 0
    bmAttributes 0x80
    (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower 100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 2
    bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
    bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
    bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk-Only
    iInterface 0
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
    bInterval 0
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
    bInterval 0
    Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
    bLength 10
    bDescriptorType 6
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Device Status: 0x0000
    (Bus Powered)

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 8
    idVendor 0x046d Logitech, Inc.
    idProduct 0xc52b Unifying Receiver
    bcdDevice 12.01
    iManufacturer 1 Logitech
    iProduct 2 USB Receiver
    iSerial 0
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9