Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse not working (Ubuntu 12.04)

Beans

Question Eclipse not working (Ubuntu 12.04)

Hello, again.

I am having problem launching Eclipse on my Ubuntu. I installed it using the Ubuntu software center, and every time i launch it, it shows a launch image, and then shows me the message

An error has occurred. See the log file
    /home/janis/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_155965261/configuration/(random numbers).log.

And when i open it, it says

!SESSION 2012-09-13 14:41:08.711 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=I20110613-1736
    java.version=1.7.0_07
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2012-09-13 14:41:16.398
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
    no swt-gtk-3740 in java.library.path
    no swt-gtk in java.library.path
    Can't load library: /home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gtk-3740.so
    Can't load library: /home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gtk.so

at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Libra ry.java:285)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Libra ry.java:194)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(C.java:21)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Conve rter.java:63)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Conve rter.java:54)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.j ava:132)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Wo rkbench.java:695)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI .java:161)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplica tion.createDisplay(IDEApplication.java:153)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplica tion.start(IDEApplication.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle. run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseA ppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java: 110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseA ppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.ru n(EclipseStarter.java:344)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.ru n(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework( Main.java:622)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.ja va:577)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:14 10)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1 386)

Please help, im trying to learn how to cod java, and i need this program to work, so that i can do the learning tutorial thingy.

Thanks, Janis
    Last edited by jmmeis13; September 13th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Beans

Re: Eclipse not working (Ubuntu 12.04)

Be sure you are using compatible system architecture, eclipse and java - all x64 bit.

sudo uname -a
    java -version
    Last edited by dawciobiel; September 13th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Beans

Why don't you follow the instructions from here, is . very straight forward and the only thing you need to do is unpack the files to a place you want to.

For the SDK the installing instructions here
    Download for Eclipse here. Just make sure you choose the right architecture, plus you will get the latest version for Eclipse which is not in the Ubuntu Repositories.

This is what I did, in case you find it useful:

I did unpack each of the downloaded files and placed it in my home folder, added a "dot" to hide them and created a launcher in my Cairo Dock to launch them.

For the Workspace made a folder called "Android" in my home folder and a "workspace" within.

As long as you choose the right Architecture for you system is very easy and the location of your folders may be wherever you want.

Best Regards
    Last edited by Neoracu; September 13th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dawciobiel View Post
    Be sure you are using compatible system architecture, eclipse and java - all x64 bit.

sudo uname -a
    java -version
    Java says

java version "1.7.0_07"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b10)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)

and the other one says x86_64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neoracu View Post
    Why don't you follow the instructions from here, is . very straight forward and the only thing you need to do is unpack the files to a place you want to.

For the SDK the installing instructions here
    Download for Eclipse here. Just make sure you choose the right architecture, plus you will get the latest version for Eclipse which is not in the Ubuntu Repositories.

This is what I did, in case you find it useful:

I did unpack each of the downloaded files and placed it in my home folder, added a "dot" to hide them and created a launcher in my Cairo Dock to launch them.

For the Workspace made a folder called "Android" in my home folder and a "workspace" within.

As long as you choose the right Architecture for you system is very easy and the location of your folders may be wherever you want.

Best Regards
    IM TRYING TO USE ECLIPSE FOR JAVA! Not android (facepalm). and i did the install using the download, and i completely ****** up ( im still quite often confused, how to install stuff from .tar.gz (i was only barely able to install java from .tar.gz))

Beans

Oh, and i forgot to say, but it did work yesterday, but it doesnt today

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jmmeis13 View Post
    Java says

java version "1.7.0_07"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b10)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)

and the other one says x86_64
    Hello, again! Solution is here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...es-not-opening

TLDR version:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/jni/libswt-* ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/
    (May need to be run as root)(and this command is for 64bit OS like yours)

So the problem seems to be that oracle java 7 puts the swt libraries in a place Eclipse doesn't check. Adding a symbolic link to them using the command above solves the problem in one command
    Last edited by Ubunterrific; September 13th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Disco ut intelligam. I learn, so that i may understand.

Please direct translation related work messages and queries over to my page on launchpad. https://launchpad.net/~untaintableangel
    ...and happy typing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubunterrific View Post
    Hello, again! Solution is here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...es-not-opening

TLDR version:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/jni/libswt-* ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/
    (May need to be run as root)(and this command is for 64bit OS like yours)

So the problem seems to be that oracle java 7 puts the swt libraries in a place Eclipse doesn't check. Adding a symbolic link to them using the command above solves the problem in one command

umm

janis@janis-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jni/libswt-* ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/
    [sudo] password for janis:
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-atk-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-awt-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-cairo-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-glx-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gnome-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-pi-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-webkit-gtk-3740.so': File exists

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

umm

janis@janis-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jni/libswt-* ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/
    [sudo] password for janis:
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-atk-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-awt-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-cairo-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-glx-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gnome-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-pi-gtk-3740.so': File exists
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-webkit-gtk-3740.so': File exists

hmmm
    Let me have a think first - there's the option of forcibly deleting all the libswt files in the x86_64 folder but for now, you could try
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java
    see which java type is set as the default and try switching to another one, then try eclipse and report back.

Please direct translation related work messages and queries over to my page on launchpad. https://launchpad.net/~untaintableangel
    ...and happy typing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

(i was only barely able to install java from .tar.gz))
    wait a sec...you installed java from a tar.gz ? I thought you were using the version from the webupd8 java ppa?
    The problem could be that the files in /home/janis/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/ don't have the right permissions then and then eclipse complains because it sees them but can't run them.

...and happy typing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast