Thread: Me and my Scrabble problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Me and my Scrabble problems

I have a couple issues, both with some version of scrabble.

#1 - I have PyScrabble installed, but lately it just closes when I try to log on to any public servers. It's not the best scrabble game out there, but it was fun to play with relatives in other states, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there are no longer any public servers open for that game.

#2 - I tried to play scrabble on pogo.com and the multiplayer "Play People" doesn't work at all.

In chrome I get directed to this site, and I get an error message in firefox saying that an error occurred while loading the game. I believe this is some sort of Java issue, however I have OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime, the Icedtea Java Plugin, and the IcedTea Java Web Start packages installed from the software center. I'm just curious, has anyone been able to get either of the scrabble games to work??? If you can get one to work, please let me know how you did it.

Just in case someone wants to know...

My "java -version" output it the following...

Code:
    :~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_24"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.4) (6b24-1.11.4-1ubuntu0.12.04.1)
    OpenJDK Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; September 6th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Me and my Scrabble problems

*bump*

Are there no scrabble fans out there? Or is the problem not fixable?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance with this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

*bump*

If there are no other scrabble nuts out there, is there at least someone who can explain why my web browsers do not run some web based games???

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is (I'm assuming java issues but I'm not sure).

Is this a common problem; is there a fix for this or is it just a limitation of Linux that I have to learn to live with?

Would installing Chromium make a difference, or it basically the same as Chrome?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, had a weird stuff going on tonight...

I tried yet again to play pogo.com scrabble with FireFox and to my surprise for the first time IT WORKED!!!

Then after I played an entire game with someone and when back to play another I was met with the following...

I guess the Java I was using just moments ago just wasn't good enough for pogo. It also took a couple minutes before I could close the (frozen) Dictionary program (Java) that was running from my last game.

After closing the browser and trying again I was met with this...

It appears to utter randomness to this stuff. Am I missing something?

And yes I tried the steps listed on the "Cripes" page with no positive result.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; September 7th, 2012 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As a work around, until Pogo.com will actually work consistently with available Ubuntu browsers or until I set up my own pyScrabble server, wabble.org is a good scrabble site that is easy to use and plays pretty much by official scrabble rules. The site seems to work better with Firefox than Chrome. Can also play on this site from my phone pretty well.