Thread: Some Issues with Gadminrsync

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Some Issues with Gadminrsync

Newbie running 12.04 and running gadminrsync for backup. I have some troubles with my pc not shutting down/taking a long time. I have a script in etc/init.d that runs rsync. This script/gadminrsync has been running brilliantly for a number of years. I have been running gadmin just my home folder onto a 2nd backup HD that I delete each time I do a (testing) manual run. At the begining of my Gadminrsync Backup Progress tab I get:

Backup operation starting, please wait...

sending rsync: readlink_stat("/home/dad/.gvfs") failed: Permission denied (13)
    incremental file list
    dad/
    dad/.ICEauthority
    dad/.Xauthority
    dad/.apport-ignore.xml
    dad/.bash_history
    dad/.bash_logout
    dad/.bashrc
    dad/.conky_start.sh
    dad/.dmrc
    etc
    etc

Is this failed: Permission denied (13) statement an issue as it appears the backup is taking place?

At the bottom of my Gadminrsync Backup Progress tab I get:

Nrsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]
    umber of files: 14626
    Number of files transferred: 12452
    Total file size: 33.86G bytes
    Total transferred file size: 33.86G bytes
    Literal data: 33.86G bytes
    Matched data: 0 bytes
    File list size: 385.75K
    File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
    File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
    Total bytes sent: 33.86G
    Total bytes received: 245.20K

So not all files are being transferred and there is an error code. Any advice on what to do now much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Some Issues with Gadminrsync

No worries.
    The thing is that the ~/.gvfs directory is a mount point to remote filesystems.
    See the output of the mount command, it should contain the following entry:
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/dad/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=dad)
    .gvfs should never be backed up and in fact has restricted permissions that don't play well with rsync. You can just ignore it or explicitly exclude it from backups.

Easiest would be to add the -x switch to your rsync command. I'm not sure if it's possible to customize the command with gadminrsync but it's definitely possible with related rsync-based backup programs like LuckyBackup or GRsync.

The -x switch restricts rsync to one filesystem and ignores mount points. That can also be useful if you have NFS mount points inside you home directory.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Some Issues with Gadminrsync

That explains it - thank you. I'm running Meld to see if I can find out what files were not copied across.