Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: GIMP multiple layer select

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    103
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    GIMP multiple layer select

    Hello everyone!

    I noticed that GIMP does not allow multiple layer select currently. There are some plugins that reproduce some of the functionality that multi-layer select provides, but I would like to actually be able to do multiple selections.

    A bit of Googling seems to suggest that there are no plans to implement multi-layer selections. Instead, there seem to be a bunch of inconvenient workarounds. I also remember reading somewhere that, "If you want this feature, implement it yourself." I'm afraid this might be a very daunting task for myself (since I have only taken some introductory courses to C and C++, I am not familiar with the finer details of open source code, and I haven't done it before etc. etc.), but I'm not afraid to dive in to take a look around.

    Any guidance for me (whether that would be to download the source code, look at which files, etc.)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Planet earth, for now.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43W
    Beans
    1,792
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: GIMP multiple layer select

    Quote Originally Posted by mathfreak123 View Post
    Hello everyone!

    I noticed that GIMP does not allow multiple layer select currently. There are some plugins that reproduce some of the functionality that multi-layer select provides, but I would like to actually be able to do multiple selections.

    A bit of Googling seems to suggest that there are no plans to implement multi-layer selections. Instead, there seem to be a bunch of inconvenient workarounds. I also remember reading somewhere that, "If you want this feature, implement it yourself." I'm afraid this might be a very daunting task for myself (since I have only taken some introductory courses to C and C++, I am not familiar with the finer details of open source code, and I haven't done it before etc. etc.), but I'm not afraid to dive in to take a look around.

    Any guidance for me (whether that would be to download the source code, look at which files, etc.)?
    What do you call "multi-layer select"? And what would you want to do with it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    284

    Re: GIMP multiple layer select

    Quote Originally Posted by mathfreak123 View Post
    A bit of Googling seems to suggest that there are no plans to implement multi-layer selections.
    That is incorrect There are plans for that. In fact, selection of multiple items is partially done in 2.8, but doesn't work in grid view and, AFAIK, hence isn't even exposed in UI. If you try list view for e.g. brushes, you'll see that you can select several ones, so there's a start.

    Quote Originally Posted by mathfreak123 View Post
    I'm afraid this might be a very daunting task for myself (since I have only taken some introductory courses to C and C++, I am not familiar with the finer details of open source code, and I haven't done it before etc. etc.), but I'm not afraid to dive in to take a look around.

    Any guidance for me (whether that would be to download the source code, look at which files, etc.)?
    Start with wiki.gimp.org.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    284

    Re: GIMP multiple layer select

    Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    What do you call "multi-layer select"? And what would you want to do with it?
    E.g. select several layers and place them into a newly created layers group. Or move up/down the stack. Totally makes sense.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43W
    Beans
    1,792
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: GIMP multiple layer select

    Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    E.g. select several layers and place them into a newly created layers group. Or move up/down the stack. Totally makes sense.
    For management, OK. But since the selected layer is also the active layer:

    For transforms, that could be another way to implement links.

    But for paint tools? Gimp paints all layers or is one layer "more selected" than others?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    103
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: GIMP multiple layer select

    Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    That is incorrect There are plans for that. In fact, selection of multiple items is partially done in 2.8, but doesn't work in grid view and, AFAIK, hence isn't even exposed in UI. If you try list view for e.g. brushes, you'll see that you can select several ones, so there's a start.



    Start with wiki.gimp.org.
    Well, that's certainly good to know! I'll check out that wiki later to check things out.

    I wanted to mess with GIMP sort of as a little project to continue learning more about programming. What gave me this idea was when I was trying to make an animated GIF, I wanted to remove some layers. I learned that the layers had to be deleted 1-by-1, or through a script that deleted a range of layers. If I wanted to arbitrarily delete several layers, however, the task would have been a bit inconvenient.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •