Thread: 12.04 >>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Angry 12.04 >>

Hey folks,

As of late, I've been getting this error message on my FireFox browser whenever I try to visit "www.mail.com" :

The connection has timed out
    the server at www.mail.com is taking too long to respond.
    the site could be temporarity unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    if yu are unable to load any pages, check your computers network connection.
    if yur computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that firefox is permitted to access the web.

I know for a fact that the site is not down or anything like that, because I can access it from my Windows box (which is hardwired), but my laptop (running Ubuntu) is what's causing the problem. I cleared my browser history files and rebooted, but I still get the error message from my laptop only. I also downloaded Chromium to see if a different browser would help, but I'm getting the same problem.

Any ideas as to what else I should do to remedy this problem?
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 12.04 >>

Quote Originally Posted by YMS_1975 View Post
    Hey folks,

As of late, I've been getting this error message on my FireFox browser whenever I try to visit "www.mail.com" :

The connection has timed out
    the server at www.mail.com is taking too long to respond.
    the site could be temporarity unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    if yu are unable to load any pages, check your computers network connection.
    if yur computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that firefox is permitted to access the web.

I know for a fact that the site is not down or anything like that, because I can access it from my Windows box (which is hardwired), but my laptop (running Ubuntu) is what's causing the problem. I cleared my browser history files and rebooted, but I still get the error message from my laptop only. I also downloaded Chromium to see if a different browser would help, but I'm getting the same problem.

Any ideas as to what else I should do to remedy this problem?

Can you show us the result of
    Code:
     ping -c 3 www.mail.com
    please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Question Re: 12.04 >>

Sorry for the delay in my response (actually it's my mom's laptop so I do this whenever I'm here).

The results are as follows :

PING www.mail.com (74.208.122.31) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from www.mail.com (74.208.122.31): icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=34.4 ms
    64 bytes from www.mail.com (74.208.122.31): icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=33.3 ms
    64 bytes from www.mail.com (74.208.122.31): icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=32.1 ms

--- www.mail.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 32.103/33.296/34.429/0.950 ms

So any idea why it keeps timing out only when I use my mom's laptop? It works just fine on my dad's Windows desktop.

EDIT (Sept. 17/2012) : I formatted the drive, and re-installed Ubuntu 12.04. The problem with www.mail.com is still occuring, however when I brought her laptop to my house I was able to access the site on my network. Furthermore, I'm not sure if it's a firewall access issue but the main PC at her house uses McAfee's and it (the Windows desktop) can access the www.mail.com site. Lastly, prior to the format & re-install, she was getting a "System Problem Detected" error message and even after the format & re-install, she's still getting that same error message.

Anybody???
    Last edited by YMS_1975; September 17th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.