Thread: Fail in dualbooting ubuntu om macbook pro

Beans

Fail in dualbooting ubuntu om macbook pro

Hi.
    I'm the happy owner of a MacBook Pro mid 2010 as far as I remember. Its running 10.7.xx. Latly it has been feeling slow and i have upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8 Gb. No luck and now I would like to run ubuntu for a more pleasent and fast experience. I'm new to ubuntu but want to explore.

I have followed the guide from:
    http://lifehacker.com/5934942/how-to...apple-hardware

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation

I have given ubuntu 40 Gb of space.
    I have been using the 32 bit ubuntu 12.10 distro.
    Is that okay or is there a special mac-hardware disto?

After i have completed the guid my problem is that ubuntu wont boot. The screen just freez after choosing ubuntu in the boot menu.
    I have fixed the Partition Tables after the install.

I think the problems is that i have done something wrong in the installation proces.
    Before install i have created a 4 Gb linux swap and a 36 Gb EXT4 partition.
    I think a have set the EXT4 partition as root (/) but when i comes to installing the boot loader (grub) to the root Ubuntu partition im having problem.
    What does it mean? and how to i install the boot loader?
    I think that ubuntu does not boot since the bootloader is not installled
    Before installation im also prompt about som bios-partition i haven't created. Angain i don't understand the problem and therefore don't know how to fix it. Is the bios-partion the same at the bootloader?

It would bee nice if you could post at link to at picture guide as im new to ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Fail in dualbooting ubuntu om macbook pro

what do you get when it freezes? a blinking cursor? "GRUB"?

you probably want to use the amd64 iso, not the 32 bit.

you when the installer starts and ask you about the partition, there is a way to tell it where to install grub. you want it to be installed to /dev/sda3 or /dev/sda4 if i understand your partitions correctly. make sure you use refit to sync the partitions.