Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who misses screen savers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Am I the only one who misses screen savers?

Wouln't it have been better to shut the screen off?
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Back in the day, you could get screen burn on CRTs. Static images would literally imprint themselves upon the screen. Screensavers helped stop that happening, by keeping something moving across the image.
    expanding on this, my mother's old computer screen did this. Even after we installed Ubuntu, we could see the imprint of the windows start menu b/c the place she bought it from left it on without the screensaver
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Yes, although if distracted or forgetful.. it can easily happen. As I recall, it wasn't that common for monitors do have power control; you couldn't turn them off via software.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    expanding on this, my mother's old computer screen did this. Even after we installed Ubuntu, we could see the imprint of the windows start menu b/c the place she bought it from left it on without the screensaver
    Yup, sometimes you could salvage the display!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Sounds like a logical question. But to use a customized screensaver at that time (in the nineties) was fun and a kind of status symbol to express your creativity:wink).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlite View Post
    Sounds like a logical question. But to use a customized screensaver at that time (in the nineties) was fun and a kind of status symbol to express your creativity:wink).
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..

Beans

I use xscreensaver and love it at work because all my buddies at work think I am cool for having old school screen savers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBlaze View Post
    I use xscreensaver and love it at work because all my buddies at work think I am cool for having old school screen savers
    i remember the haunted house and space satellite things rom win 98. they were top notch. *nostagia*
    "Metallica doesn't suck, Motorhead just kicks way more fy! 5 bottles of whisky, 2 packs of smokes and fried bologna every day for forty years and i could have a voice like lemmy's" - -Some guys on youtube..

Beans

There are still a few cathode ray tube monitors out there being used, for anyone who has one of those a screensaver is quite important because turning the monitor on and off isn't going to extend it's life, making it transmit pure black is a better option but a bit dull. I used to use a clock screensaver to shake me out of daydreaming when I had deadlines. There are rather a lot of interesting screensavers, some of the ones which are associated with shareing unused resources are well worth looking at. This I like http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_graphics.php
    I'd quite like to have something like stellarium kick in when a screensaver would have done just to help maintain context.
    Currently I don't need or use one, however having something useful kick in when the computer is idle is still a good idea; interuptable scans, shared tasks and so on. Graphics to go with that might even be useful or just eyecandy, either way I hope the option to use a screensaver remains even if it isn't on the disk.
    Part of focusing on innovating the new is bound to be depreciation of the old especially when size of storage medium is a factor, so it's swings and roundabouts. As a fortunate online person this is not a problem, gimp is one of the first things I install for example, though I'm aware that for many less fortunate what is on the disk is more critical. Internet cafes often charge for downloads and if the iso's and debs don't work there is no connection to easily sort things out at home online.
    According to the old Ubuntu ethic screensavers would be on the disk as the people least likely to be online are most likely to be using a crt monitor.
    That said the Ubuntu philosopy has changed; providing a free alternative operating system for those in the third world is no longer a key factor, now it's solidly aimed at the well to do who can afford to have recent hardware. So I suppose people using old hardware won't be able to run Ubuntu anyway, just think ram.
    I miss the old Ubuntu ethic but the distribution did help to popularise the linux idea and lightweight distro's have come in to fill the gap. The new ethic is important too, innovation does matter and it is logical that one of, perhaps the, biggest development teams take on that role.
    Ubuntu could easily be first to produce a working holographic display and should that happen expect flames about the decision to drop old physical screen features. A couple of decades after that those who flamed will probably be using the results of all that holographic development but leery of the brain induction UI.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; September 13th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I didn't notice that screens savers were gone. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one it quite a while.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 14th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I remember running Seti@Home on my old Compaq. It made an awesome screensaver tbh.

For anyone who wants to run Seti@Home on their Precise box, see here:
    http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...postid=1242388
    Last edited by CharlesA; September 14th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast