Thread: security

Beans

security

Hey guys just me again sorry I was told that ubuntu is not a safe OS so I here so many things this is this and that is that so I'm going back to you guys and is ubuntu safe I have desktop with ubuntu on but I don't download again I only use it for personals such as retreiving my documents, banking etc I just didn't feel safe with windows so what should do guys. I really like ubuntu and how well its pulished with new desktop and now with gnome 3 look thats cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: security

Quote Originally Posted by gordie69 View Post
    I was told that ubuntu is not a safe OS
    By whom and with what arguments to back it up?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

what was that to whom and what
    I'm just trying to secure my ubuntu and I only browse the web don't download anything only from the software center and that's it. just browse and and my banking and someone told me you can be hacked in ubuntu I thought with admin pass and with the kernel you were safe

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Again, who is that someone and what arguments did they have to back up the "you can be hacked" statement? If they didn't have any, then you should regard their statement as rubbish.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Read the basic security wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

If you follow the advice in the wiki, your desktop Ubuntu operating system is incredibly unlikely to be hacked. The mystery person who told you that Ubuntu can be hacked is right, but it's an extremely small likelihood. Arm yourself with facts to avoid the FUD and paranoia.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Again, who is that someone and what arguments did they have to back up the "you can be hacked" statement? If they didn't have any, then you should regard their statement as rubbish.
    +1.

Security is more a practise than a state of being.

Beans

thanks guys just trying and posting info so I can go complete ubuntu an leave windows behind where it belongs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    Read the basic security wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

If you follow the advice in the wiki, your desktop Ubuntu operating system is incredibly unlikely to be hacked. The mystery person who told you that Ubuntu can be hacked is right, but it's an extremely small likelihood. Arm yourself with facts to avoid the FUD and paranoia.
    ~~~~~

thanks MD, I'm going to study the wik this afternoon. i think the main thing i want to incorporate into my Security Practice is to simply use a separate logon for General Browsing. this should completely isolate the browser as well as restrict what the browser can 'see' in terms of my data assets

gotta get busy with my new nix build though; this old Dell/Dimension has a 2.4ghz single core cpu, 1 G RAM, and two 80G hard drives. it still runs rather well!
    Last edited by mike acker; September 13th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    By whom and with what arguments to back it up?
    I've been fussing over security troubles since STONED, FALLING LETTERS, and the PAKISTANI BRAIN

~~

This year I discovered LINUX. via the LINUX/LIVE CD option.

But I only had that on for about a week. I have 12.04 LTS now which I should be able to run with for a while.

I have decided to build me a "nix" box... lemme see: I have an ANTEC 300 case on my list. This needs a power supply I have the ANTEC VP-450 on the list. Now this is a ATX format tower case, so the next thing is picking out a motherboard..... I have ASUS M5A88-M AM3+ on the list to take the AMD quad-core 64bit CPU chip. I'm going to order these 3 parts first and then read the instructions for the motherboard. I have to get CPU and RAM to match, which means matching up the sockets, clock speeds, pin-outs etc

I'll be putting more on this project over on the hardware forum once it gets started. frst I have to send in a 1040ES ( grrrrrr ) .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordie69 View Post
    Hey guys just me again sorry I was told that ubuntu is not a safe OS so I here so many things this is this and that is that so I'm going back to you guys and is ubuntu safe I have desktop with ubuntu on but I don't download again I only use it for personals such as retreiving my documents, banking etc I just didn't feel safe with windows so what should do guys. I really like ubuntu and how well its pulished with new desktop and now with gnome 3 look thats cool.
    I am still confused that why did you create this thread? To clear your doubt? But it seems like you don't have any doubt as someone has said anything to you about Ubuntu and you just changed your state of mind towards it!

And yes, If Ubuntu is not that safe and perfect then could it possible for it to make such a huge and awesome community with superb contributors?