Thread: Appindicators Icons

Beans

Question Appindicators Icons

How should icons be set for Appindicators? Can unique icons be used or should window manager icons be used?

On the appindicator dev page, it states:
    The icons need to use icon names from themes, direct paths to icon files are not supported. For example, icon names used with gtk_status_icon_new_from_file() won’t work.
    It seems from this, that programs should use standard icons. What are the icons that can be used?

From the example code:
    Code:
    app_indicator_set_attention_icon (indicator, "indicator-messages-new");
    Where is "indicator-messages-new" defined?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Appindicators Icons

Have you tried using the full path to the icon file anyway? It works for me using the Python GObject API. Otherwise you can try using app_indicator_new_with_path to specify a custom icon_theme_path to where your app's icon are.

Beans

I haven't tried full paths yet.

Should applications use their own icons though? Isn't the "point" of appindicators to have a unified look and feel?

Which brings me to my next question: how does an application integrate with an existing menu? For instance, the messaging window, how does say Pidgin & Empathy plug into the same appindicator menu?

Beans

App Indicators should use mono-color icons, but otherwise it can be specific to your application.

The Messaging Menu and Sound Menu have separate APIs if you want to integrate with them:

Messaging Menu: http://developer.ubuntu.com/resource...essaging-menu/
    Sound Menu: http://developer.ubuntu.com/resource...es/sound-menu/

Beans

How do I set an icon with the full path?
    Here is the function proto-type
    Code:
    AppIndicator *      app_indicator_new_with_path         (const gchar *id,
                                                             const gchar *icon_name,
                                                             AppIndicatorCategory category,
                                                             const gchar *icon_theme_path);
    Doing something like this doesn't work:
    Code:
        indicator = app_indicator_new_with_path ("example-simple-client","jnostromo_systemicon_gray.png",
                                                 APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS, "/home/mspeth/Projects/test/app_indicator");
    Thanks

Beans

1.self.ind = appindicator.Indicator("MyApp", 2. "/home/jordiston/Pictures/Numbers/0.png",
    4. 5.appindicator.CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS)
    6. self.ind.set_status(appindicator.STATUS_ACTIVE)
    7. self.ind.set_attention_icon("new-messages-red")

the first 5 lines will let you set an icon of your choice just change the path to what you need lol.
    the 6th lines sets the app status to active
    the 7th changes the icon used for its specific app status, you can change it later on in the code, and can change it to your own icon as well. like
    if messages = 1 then self.ind.set_attention_icon("/home/jordiston/Pictures/Numbers/1.png")
    i have different icons that come up for different things. i've never changed the regular active icon but i believe you should be able to change it later on in the code to.

edit: each number with a dot after it is supposed to be a new line. idk how to put code in the forums.
    Last edited by Jordiston; September 27th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.

Beans

Thanks. That worked!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Thanks. That worked!
    It worked in Cinnamon but does not work in Unity I would expect it to work in gnome-shell since cinnamon is based on gnome-3.

Anyways, here is the code

Code:
    indicator = app_indicator_new_with_path ("JAppIndicator",
                                              gtkIcon,
                                    APP_INDICATOR_CATEGORY_APPLICATION_STATUS,
                                              gtkIconPath);
    app_indicator_set_status (indicator, APP_INDICATOR_STATUS_ACTIVE);
    app_indicator_set_menu (indicator, GTK_MENU (gtkMenu));
    gtkIcon is the file name (like test.png). gtkIconPath is the absolute path to the file.

If you would like to try out my code (or pull the source), check out my new project.