Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

Beans

I did it!

I was so happy I got the Lubuntu iso burnt (newbie) and am running off it now that I had to tell somebody who would understand, lol! Yay! Hopefully I can completely get rid of windows at some point soon.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I did it!

For How-To's and Information on Lubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

For Screen-Casts on Lubuntu

http://blip.tv/rss/bookmarks/206798

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Congrats! Fun isn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For me, LXDE is a desktop envirnoment which suits my needs the best. Unity i really dislike a lot, it's rubbish and the biggest mistake ever together with Gnome3. Xfce looks nice but does not really meet my needs. Linux Mint works good, but with some things it feels a bit fuzzy... I used Ubuntu from version 7.04 up till 10.04.3 LTS and since Canonical introduced that ugly Unity (which in my opninion suits more on a netbook) i'm kinda on a search for the best desktop environment. LXDE is the best so far, although it does have some drawbacks. But tell me, which desktop environment doesn't have any drawbacks? For now i'm trying out Lubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is you can do with LXDE that you can't with XFCE? Very curious, have used both but LXDE seems more limited, good for low memory machines.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well done!! Welcome to the land of the free.
    Do desert rats eat cheese? If so, award yourself a chunk

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    What is you can do with LXDE that you can't with XFCE? Very curious, have used both but LXDE seems more limited, good for low memory machines.
    I know LXDE has some limitations, but i don't mind that. It's pretty much a basic DE with low specs and without all those bells and whistles and other fancy stuff which is just nothing more than resource consuming overkill. LXDE gives me a fresh and bare desktop environment. It's not that i want to do something with the desktop environment, i'm not there for the DE, the DE has to be there for me. And i want a stable environment to work with. LXDE gives me the impression/feeling that it is there for the user and not the other way around.
    Last edited by GeForce 9500GT; September 11th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Beans

i am new here too,am running the old ubuntu maverick meerkat 10.10 which do not know why am calling it old,lol. it's newer than windows 7 and having lots of fun with compiz and emerald theme managers.nice i can install dark themes or color themes from around the web.amazing i can get flip 3d and clear windows borders and 4 desktops in the compiz cube with minimal graphics card etc, thank you Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd33fan View Post
    i am new here too,am running the old ubuntu maverick meerkat 10.10 which do not know why am calling it old,lol. it's newer than windows 7 and having lots of fun with compiz and emerald theme managers.nice i can install dark themes or color themes from around the web.amazing i can get flip 3d and clear windows borders and 4 desktops in the compiz cube with minimal graphics card etc, thank you Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    For How-To's and Information on Lubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

For Screen-Casts on Lubuntu

http://blip.tv/rss/bookmarks/206798

Rodney
    Awesome! I bookmarked both pages.

Lars Nooden: I'm having a blast!

Artemis.3: My processor doesn't even support pae (to quote someone else here). I tried and can't run Ubuntu.

Coldraven: Thanks! I prefer tira misu when offered the choice.

FeForce9500GT & tonyd33fan: Even Lubuntu is doing everything I initially wanted and needed it to, lovin' it!

EDIT: lol, my first attempt at multi quoting. I'll figure it out, hehe.
    Last edited by Sonoran Desert Rat; September 11th, 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: explanation

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

God willing, your attitude is what the vast majority of new ubuntu/linux users are like

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast