Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I did it!

Beans

Re: I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    I used Ubuntu from version 7.04 up till 10.04.3 LTS and since Canonical introduced that ugly Unity (which in my opninion suits more on a netbook) i'm kinda on a search for the best desktop environment. LXDE is the best so far, although it does have some drawbacks. But tell me, which desktop environment doesn't have any drawbacks? For now i'm trying out Lubuntu 12.04.
    I jumped ship to XFCE due to unity. It's like a Gnome 2 that went on a diet. Feels very much like traditional Gnome 2 in usage. I also had less configuring to do post-installation that most other environmets. Just deleted the bottom panel, changed the wallpaper and viola! Just like I had my Gnome 2 set up. Oh, and the file manager is called Thunar. THUNAR! How awesome is that!

I tried KDE4 too and the performance was there (believe it!) but there were a few niggles that kept me from doing a full-on switch. I have a feling KDE5 is going to be one worth looking out for.
    Last edited by heminder; September 11th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by heminder View Post
    I jumped ship to XFCE due to unity. It's like a Gnome 2 that went on a diet. Feels very much like traditional Gnome 2 in usage. I also had less configuring to do post-installation that most other environmets. Just deleted the bottom panel, changed the wallpaper and viola! Just like I had my Gnome 2 set up. Oh, and the file manager is called Thunar. THUNAR! How awesome is that!
    For some reason Xcfe feels a bit outdated. Maybe because i'm used to Mate (Linux Mint) and LXDE. But it's a good solution anyway! Feels much like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Thunar.......... Not my style. Looks good, but not much options. Like Nautilus, but than on a serious diet.

I tried KDE4 too and the performance was there (believe it!) but there were a few niggles that kept me from doing a full-on switch. I have a feling KDE5 is going to be one worth looking out for.
    KDE....pretty fancy DE, too much bells and whistles and resource consuming overkill. Even my system was not good enough for KDE.... running really, really sloooooooowwwwww......... So, i ditched every OS with KDE.

I have one issue with Xubuntu and that is this:
    When i add an application on the top panel, there's no way to make that application sticky on the panel. This means that it can be moved all over the panel. How do i make applications sticky on the top panel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: I did it!

If you are not a huge gamer,I see no reason you can't pitch Windows.. And even if you are, Steam is coming for Linux very soon.

I dumped Windows nine years ago and am happy as a lark.
    I'm using Gnome fallback since I'm also no fan of Unity , even after trying it in guest mode..Different strokes and all ya know.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    What is you can do with LXDE that you can't with XFCE? Very curious, have used both but LXDE seems more limited, good for low memory machines.
    I have been using Xubuntu (12.04) for a While now, and it definetely does have some small but extremely annoying bugs, that affect the whole Xfce-experience.
    eg. When starting a program, and then having no indication that the program is loading. Which causes me sometimes to re-click on the icon and eventually 2 instances of the program starts.
    OR watching a movie with totem fullscreen and then havin to move the mouse for a looong time before something happens. (this is with a synaptic touchpad. a regular mouse works instantly..)
    Sometimes the mouse graps a window when button is not pressed....
    Yep. These are small things, but they do get on the way a lot.
    In Gnome-ubuntu this kind of problems were repaired quite quickly, but xubuntu is smaller and these seem to take forever to fix...

Now I am thinkinkg of moving to Lubuntu. Haven't tried it yet, but hope it does not have the same bugs. Tried to install Lubuntu to virtualbox, but couldnt get it to boot??? Guess I have to install a real version.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    If you are not a huge gamer,I see no reason you can't pitch Windows.. And even if you are, Steam is coming for Linux very soon.
    I'm not much of a gamer. Some online games i play and sometimes i play Urban terror, but after a while it's getting bored.

I dumped Windows nine years ago and am happy as a lark.
    I'm using Gnome fallback since I'm also no fan of Unity , even after trying it in guest mode..Different strokes and all ya know.
    i dichted windows back in 2007 when i started using Ubuntu 7.04. Before that i tried Suse (version 7 or 8), Mandriva/Mandrake, Fedora. But Ubuntu gave me everything i wanted. Up till Unity.... Now i'm tetsing out Lubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by GeForce 9500GT; September 12th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing this.

But i still have my share in this:

I have one issue with Xubuntu and that is this:
    When i add an application on the top panel, there's no way to make that application sticky on the panel. This means that it can be moved all over the panel. How do i make applications sticky on the top panel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

KDE....pretty fancy DE, too much bells and whistles and resource consuming overkill. Even my system was not good enough for KDE.... running really, really sloooooooowwwwww......... So, i ditched every OS with KDE.
    1st - you can disable those bells and whistles by installing low-fat-settings package. thta should bring it close to old Gnome in terms of memorry consumption.
    2nd - it is slow on start if you have indexing on. after it indexes it becomes much much faster.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    1st - you can disable those bells and whistles by installing low-fat-settings package. thta should bring it close to old Gnome in terms of memorry consumption.
    I mean with bells and whistles all that eye-candy stuff which isn't really productive.

2nd - it is slow on start if you have indexing on. after it indexes it becomes much much faster.
    And someone else told me that it was because i hadn't the correct additional driver installed.... What's the truth?

Beans

I am running Lubuntu from cd and having no problems at all, everything i working great. I just cleaned out windows, changed it's settings (erasing pagefile, etc.) and about to shrink it and install Lubuntu on my hard drive. I am hoping this works, if it doesn't I'm going to dump windows and go Lubuntu all the way.

I bought this computer at a yard sale and it has the official windows sticker on it which is now unreadable because it was stuck to the bottom. :/ So Windows now tells me I am a victim of software counterfeiting and no longer supports my copy. >

I have dumped windows before for Ubuntu and loved it but didn't have the time to learn the new OS or the terminal. I am glad to be back on Lubuntu (Ubuntu doesn't support my pae Intel chip from what I gather).

Beans

I tried Kubuntu 12.04 on my Pentium 4 machine and it actually felt pretty lean. I didn't notice any resource-consuming overkill even on default settings. It wasn't quite the same performance as Xfce but it wasn't as you described. Applications loaded pretty quickly and menus popped open instantly. The only reason I stuck with Xubuntu 12.04 was because KDE was freezing for some reason seemingly randomly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12