Thread: Downloading Package Indexes Failed [Atheros AR8161 & Broadcom 4313]

Beans

Downloading Package Indexes Failed [Atheros AR8161 & Broadcom 4313]

Hi all,

I just finish dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Now facing problem with my Ethernet and Wireless.

I had installed patch, dkms, fakeroot and bcmwl from LiveCD, however, when I click on ADDITIONAL DRIVERS, I only received Downloading Package Indexes Failed.

I also type
    ~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl

~$ sudo modprobe wl

and this time no Fatal Error on wl but the STA just wont load.

Anything I did not do? Also for Atheros AR8161 is there any way to install the driver without internet? Is it because of my Atheros that's why wireless won't load? By the way, when I use LiveCD, it auto load STA but I still cannot detect wireless connection.

Besides that, is there any other drivers needed to install? This is my first time install Ubuntu so I not sure what else is needed here.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Downloading Package Indexes Failed [Atheros AR8161 & Broadcom 4313]

I'm not sure the STA driver is correct for your device, but let's identify it first:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.
    Also for Atheros AR8161 is there any way to install the driver without internet?
    Of course. My code above will identify it, too, and we'll proceed.
    Is it because of my Atheros that's why wireless won't load?
    You can't download the needed (and probably wrong) files without an internet connection. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks for your help!

I found your nice and simple thread
    Re: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl and managed to temporary use my wired to download and now wireless is working while my wired need to recompile again.

Now my issue is with downloading Google Chrome as when I download halfway, it give me the message that 'the deb is not supported and cannot be read' and ended my download.

You happen to know what happen? Also when I click on nVidia setting, it says that my laptop is not using it. I think mine have Intel 4000 and nVidia, I wonder any setup I need to do to let Ubuntu to switch the graphic card when more graphic power is required?

I had installed Ubuntu restricted package, nVidia setting, wireless and wire driver, Gnome, Flash for Firefox, OpenJava, VLC, Skype. Is there anything else I would need to install in my Ubuntu?

I plan to learn how to use C++, any recommendation for the program to use and files to learn?

If you happen to be able share some lights with me, that will be great. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by anime4eva View Post
    Thanks for your help!

I found your nice and simple thread
    Re: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl and managed to temporary use my wired to download and now wireless is working while my wired need to recompile again.

Now my issue is with downloading Google Chrome as when I download halfway, it give me the message that 'the deb is not supported and cannot be read' and ended my download.

You happen to know what happen? Also when I click on nVidia setting, it says that my laptop is not using it. I think mine have Intel 4000 and nVidia, I wonder any setup I need to do to let Ubuntu to switch the graphic card when more graphic power is required?

I had installed Ubuntu restricted package, nVidia setting, wireless and wire driver, Gnome, Flash for Firefox, OpenJava, VLC, Skype. Is there anything else I would need to install in my Ubuntu?

I plan to learn how to use C++, any recommendation for the program to use and files to learn?

If you happen to be able share some lights with me, that will be great. Thanks!
    Sorry, I am not experienced in graphics, C++, OpenJava, etc. I suggest you ask over on General Help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

OK!

Thank you very much for the network and wireless driver!