Thread: CDROM and USB Drives not detected after boot repair

Beans

CDROM and USB Drives not detected after boot repair

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me...

I'm using a dual-boot setup and had to reinstall WinXP. As expected, this messed up GRUB (XP overrides it?), so I booted my Ubuntu Live CD, installed and ran boot-repair with the "recommended repair" option. I think it reinstalled GRUB for me, not sure. This fix worked immediately, but now Ubuntu doesn't detect my USB External HD, my CD-ROM drive or the Windows partition. I'm pretty new to Linux so I don't know how if there's a simple way around this

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Beans

Re: CDROM and USB Drives not detected after boot repair

Okay, so I managed to manually mount both my CD drive and USB external HD on /mnt/cdrom/ and /mnt/usbdrive/, respectively. At least I can see the contents now.

But how do I go back to having them show up when I click Places -> Computer? For example, right now I have to be root to do file operations with my HD, and Wine/PlayonLinux is not detecting my DVD for my Dragon Age Origins game installation anymore. I still need help...

I'm using 12.04 by the way.

Beans

If you can mount it is because linux is detecting it. So the problem must be in the configuration of your desktop environment (gnome, kde, xfce... )

Have you looked in your menus for settings/preferences/controlcenter/whatever... --> removable drives options...?

There you can configure what has to be done when a removable media such as a cd-rom, pendrive, etc is detected.

Beans

Thanks for replying! Sorry for the confusion, I guess it detects the drives but doesn't automatically mount them like before.

System Settings -> Details lets me choose what to do with removable media, but that doesn't help mounting it. I just found that through System Tools -> Preferences -> Disks I can see my removable medias, and when I click "Mount Media" it mounts on /run/media/my_user.

When I mount it like that the media shows up on Places -> Computer like I wanted, but when I reboot it's not mounted again, I have to do this every time. So I guess my question now is how to auto-mount media upon booting...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: CDROM and USB Drives not detected after boot repair

Quote Originally Posted by landovers View Post
    my question now is how to auto-mount media upon booting...
    If your media is connected at Ubuntu startup, you can automount it via Disk-Manager: https://launchpad.net/disk-manager/+download

Beans

Thanks, I just managed to set both medias (USB HD and DVD) to mount at start-up.

But now... upon boot after a little while it shows the purple Ubuntu screen with an error message "Error while mounting /run/media/my_user/my_media. Press S to Skip mounting and M for manual recovery [which just yelds a black screen and command line]". It does this twice, once for each drive.

It's weird because once it boots I have no problem to mount. I suppose it has to do with those mount options?

My FAT32 Samsung external HD has these mount options:
    defaults,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname= mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,uhelper=udisks2

My TSSTCorp CD/DVDW has these:
    nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show

I'll try and look at what these options mean, I guess. Any help would be appreciated, though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: CDROM and USB Drives not detected after boot repair

Sorry I don't know which mount option you need.
    You should ask this in a new thread.