Thread: After dist-upgrade, webcam no longer working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After dist-upgrade, webcam no longer working

I'm using KDE and ubuntu 12.04

This morning I ran 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. After a restart, most everything worked. But I no longer have video from my webcam.

The skype video test gives me a black space. I installed Cheese, and that just gives me black as well. The blue led that usually lights up on my microsoft lifecam is dark.

I tried opening the device in VLC, and I got this message:

Code:
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'v4l2:///dev/video0'. Check the log for details.
    How can I recover the use of my camera?

Beans
    Distro

Re: After dist-upgrade, webcam no longer working

Did you ever work this out? I have a similar problem.

Beans
    Distro

Hi.

I must have figured something out, because that configuration is working for me.

I'm afraid I don't remember what my solution was.

What have you tried so far?

Beans
    Distro

I didn't mind much in the way of suggestions apart from to try this:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so cheese
    [or 'skype' in place of 'cheese'].

I got this response:
    Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(cheese:10396): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:10396): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:10396): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:10396): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkGrid to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:10396): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

** (totem-video-thumbnailer:10405): WARNING **: Could not take screenshot: no last video frame

** (totem-video-thumbnailer:10405): WARNING **: Could not take screenshot: no last video frame

totem-video-thumbnailer couldn't get a picture from 'file:///home/sky/Videos/Webcam/2011-12-20-174120.ogv'

** (cheese:10396): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/sky/Videos/Webcam/2011-12-20-174120.ogv (video/ogg)

** (cheese:10396): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/sky/Pictures/Webcam/2012-11-30-154257.jpg (image/jpeg)