Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC just locks when it wants to

Beans

Re: PC just locks when it wants to

Ive got a COMPAQ AMD-64 laptop now running Ubuntu 12.04 using compiz because of its graphics card capabilities. It locks up periodically, unable to ctrl alt f1 into a tty (the mouse moves around though). There isn't a fix because the problem is compiz as I understand it, which is required by Unity. I'm beginning to get use to it and hate to uninstall it now.

But I can't do any serious work with my laptop now with Ubuntu 12.04 on it, but its great for running Firefox, Chromium and Thunderbird.. for reading only. I've been burnt with losing data in LibreOffice.

On the other hand, Ubuntu 10.04 is ROCK SOLID. Ubuntu 10.04 absolutely never gets in a total freeze. If an application does lock, I can always open a terminal and resolve it.

I'd like to keep Ubuntu 12.04 of this laptop if I could install some tool that resets the lock, and saves my data. Is there such a thing?

Otherwise, I'm going to install Xubuntu or Ubuntu 10.04 for stability and productivity.

IMO, if compiz is indeed the culprit, then I have to say it was a mistake to ever design an operating system that depends upon it. No one serious about doing work could consider using it. It'd be better off for Canonical if the user gets a message that says "incompatible with Unity" than the user installs a system that seems to work great... most of the time. Once lose data due to lock ups, they aren't going to be able to depend upon it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    Ive got a COMPAQ AMD-64 laptop now running Ubuntu 12.04 using compiz because of its graphics card capabilities. It locks up periodically, unable to ctrl alt f1 into a tty (the mouse moves around though). There isn't a fix because the problem is compiz as I understand it, which is required by Unity. I'm beginning to get use to it and hate to uninstall it now.

But I can't do any serious work with my laptop now with Ubuntu 12.04 on it, but its great for running Firefox, Chromium and Thunderbird.. for reading only. I've been burnt with losing data in LibreOffice.

On the other hand, Ubuntu 10.04 is ROCK SOLID. Ubuntu 10.04 absolutely never gets in a total freeze. If an application does lock, I can always open a terminal and resolve it.

I'd like to keep Ubuntu 12.04 of this laptop if I could install some tool that resets the lock, and saves my data. Is there such a thing?

Otherwise, I'm going to install Xubuntu or Ubuntu 10.04 for stability and productivity.

IMO, if compiz is indeed the culprit, then I have to say it was a mistake to ever design an operating system that depends upon it. No one serious about doing work could consider using it. It'd be better off for Canonical if the user gets a message that says "incompatible with Unity" than the user installs a system that seems to work great... most of the time. Once lose data due to lock ups, they aren't going to be able to depend upon it.
    Try using unity 2D, that uses metacity instead of compiz. if you log out and click on the ubuntu logo next to the password prompt, it will give you the option to use ubuntu (2D)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans

Will give that a try this weekend and post on how well it works. Thanks for the advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12