Thread: Something strange is going on with my sound output

Beans

Unhappy Something strange is going on with my sound output

Hello all,
    This is my second thread and I haven't used Linux for quite a while. But since my laptop denies to get Windows installed due to factory settings, I had to install Linux.
    The strange thing is, while I was installing Xubuntu (live mode from USB), I was able to use headphones and built-in speakers. But after install (boot from hdd) and since then, I can't anymore. Weird, isn't it? So I searched all over the place about ALSA and reconfiguring and initialising stuff but nothing helped. FYI, here is the output of lspci about my audio configs:
    Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Santa Cruz Operation Device 1043
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
        Memory at fe9f4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
        Kernel driver in use: oss_hdaudio
    So does anyone know how I can output sound regular again? Neither my headphone jack and built-in speakers are listed in the volume thingy. There is only a "dummy-output" available.
    Last edited by aria1121; September 11th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Beans

Re: Something strange is going on with my sound output

I have tried all the possible solutions that were mentioned on the forum but still nothing helped. Can anyone please help?

Beans

Isn't there a way to reset the sound settings? It is now three days I have no sound.

Beans

I just found it out myself. Here is the vid providing the answer (steps described below).

SOLUTION:

1. Open Terminal
    2. Type in aptitude and press [Enter] ==> if it says it doesn't know what aptitude is, open Synaptic and install it. If aptitude does start, close Terminal and start it again, continue with step 3
    3. Enter the following (as one line): sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2
    4. A message will appear saying you have to reboot your system, do so

And it should work. If it doesn't, check this out:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...eshootingGuide
    Last edited by aria1121; September 12th, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: This is the solution